IGNORED

New '75 280z owner checking in

Neb

Grabbed a '75 280z late last year and have been (slowly) trying to get it running.  I have always loved the cars, but this is the first chance I've had to own one.  Definitely learned a lot so far and looking forward to learning and participating in the forums here!

Ben

IMG_20171126_143132.jpg

• Like 1

Nice find and welcome Ben. Interesting dent in the top shoulder of the fender. Garage accident? Did you get original bumpers with the car? The reason I ask is, we have a member that has an early 76 that needs an end from a front bumper and the rubber filler strip in the center. If you were going to go the early bumper route, perhaps you would part with your old one. Sorry if I appear to be a vulture circling over forty three year old meat. Our member in Georgia is trying to complete her bumper to get ready for car shows this spring and summer. No luck finding the parts so far.

2 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Nice find and welcome Ben. Interesting dent in the top shoulder of the fender. Garage accident? Did you get original bumpers with the car? The reason I ask is, we have a member that has an early 76 that needs an end from a front bumper and the rubber filler strip in the center. If you were going to go the early bumper route, perhaps you would part with your old one. Sorry if I appear to be a vulture circling over forty three year old meat. Our member in Georgia is trying to complete her bumper to get ready for car shows this spring and summer. No luck finding the parts so far.

Thanks Mark.  Unfortunately the car didn't come with any front or rear bumpers or hardware.. I'm looking at the lightweight fiberglass setup from MSA for the rear and still trying to figure out what I want to do with the front.  There IS this guy up in Louisville, KY selling a set that might work though https://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/d/datsun-bumpers-240z-260z-280z/6505969533.html

Is hers white? 

2 hours ago, Dave WM said:

If you like to watch videos, I have a youtube channel, its my journey with a 1975, you may find some interesting stuff that would apply to your 76.

My youtube is

Dave WM

Dave, I'll definitely check out your videos.  Trying to sponge all I can at the moment.

18 minutes ago, EuroDat said:

Ben, Nice find. Welcome to the club.

Hardcto judge with one photo, but it looks in good condition. Do you know what you want to do with her?

Thanks EuroDat, the picture probably does it more credit than it is due.  Floorpans are pretty rusted, paint is a mediocre shot of the original color over the original paint, and its not running yet.  But its getting there.  I just want to get it running and drive it; nothing special.  Take it back to stock and enjoy :)

37 minutes ago, Neb said:

Thanks Mark.  Unfortunately the car didn't come with any front or rear bumpers or hardware.. I'm looking at the lightweight fiberglass setup from MSA for the rear and still trying to figure out what I want to do with the front.  There IS this guy up in Louisville, KY selling a set that might work though https://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/d/datsun-bumpers-240z-260z-280z/6505969533.html

Is hers white? 

Thanks for the link. I've emailed her the info. Jai's 280 is a beautiful red 76.

Just now, Mark Maras said:

Thanks for the link. I've emailed her the info. Jai's 280 is a beautiful red 76.

I just got an email from the guy with the bumper, in Louisville.  It is for a 1978 280.  Probably no good, what do you think?

9 minutes ago, Redwing said:

I just got an email from the guy with the bumper, in Louisville.  It is for a 1978 280.  Probably no good, what do you think?

I am absolutely still learning what will fit what with these cars, so I don't feel qualified to answer that one haha.  BUT I did come across some info when bumper shopping on MSA.  If you read through their product description, it sounds like there are differences between the 75-76 and the later 280z.  Maybe give them a call?

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic02n01/32-2068

15 minutes ago, Redwing said:

And also, your z is gorgeous!

Just now, Neb said:

And also, your z is gorgeous!

Thank you.  God had His hand in my getting her, it would never have happened otherwise.  Up close there a bunch of little things that need attention.  Being a "mature" lady of 75, there are many things I cannot do myself for her.  But the members here are wonderful to me.  Several have driven here and worked on her, and sent parts to me for her.  There were problems when I first got her 3 years ago, but a member sent me an ECU, and poof everything has been great since then.  I take her to car shows and we have won 4 trophies!  Such fun.  

Thanks for the heads up about MSA, I will call them.

Have a good day...

Jai