Jump to content
AlbatrossCafe

Price Check: 280z Front hubs for $200

Recommended Posts

Dude locally is selling front hub assembly off a 1977 280z for $200. He says that rotors, wheel bearings, etc. are in good shape. I need them to cut for my coilover conversion so I don't care about the strut itself.

Is $200 a fair price?

 

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/d/240280z-parts/6514563435.html

I saw them in the bottom left of this pic:

00y0y_2ggFu9kykx2_600x450.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don’t you cut the ones that came with your car? I used my stock parts. I don’t plan on going back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, wheee! said:

Why don’t you cut the ones that came with your car? I used my stock parts. I don’t plan on going back.

I did exactly that. Problem is, I cut them too short. i have to run car lowered 3" or more the way I cut them. I'll never make it out of my driveway at that height. The rear I can fix by adding some tubing, but the fronts I have to redo completely.

See:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

I did exactly that. Problem is, I cut them too short. i have to run car lowered 3" or more the way I cut them. I'll never make it out of my driveway at that height. The rear I can fix by adding some tubing, but the fronts I have to redo completely.

oops, now I remember! I would just buy some appropriately sized tubing and weld them on to the right size. The tubing up from the hubs is just steel pipe basically. A clean cut and a solid weld is all you need. I remember seeing some sprinkler system pipe that was about the right size of the correct schedule of steel too.

Heck, you could probably just use the leftover tubing from the struts you cut!

Edited by wheee!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wheee! said:

oops, now I remember! I would just buy some appropriately sized tubing and weld them on to the right size. The tubing up from the hubs is just steel pipe basically. A clean cut and a solid weld is all you need. I remember seeing some sprinkler system pipe that was about the right size of the correct schedule of steel too.

Heck, you could probably just use the leftover tubing from the struts you cut!

That is the plan for the back, but it seems there is no way to cut the adapter off the front without destroying everything with that narrow of a space right at the inside of the hub. Unfortunately, the shop did the cutting/welding for me and I didn't keep any of the leftover tube :( but it sounds like them sourcing some new stuff won't be too expensive.

I'm gonna try to haggle this guy down to $150 or so but it sounds like I shouldn't be too upset if I have to do $200.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'76 280z front hub is same as '78 one right? I know the 75-76 years and 77-78 years go together normally. I found a 76 assembly for $200 with basically new wheel bearings and rotors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a super good price for new spindles et al. If they’re in good shape it’s a win win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you decide to completely bail on everything you have done so far and toss the parts, I might be interested in the cut down front spindles for an experiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

If you decide to completely bail on everything you have done so far and toss the parts, I might be interested in the cut down front spindles for an experiment.

I'm headed that way. I'll pick up the "new" hubs next weekend. The shop did a great job welding the original ones... they would be great for someone who wanted to lower their Z car 2.5+ inches. Just PM me with what you are thinkin'

Edited by AlbatrossCafe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to cut the stubs off completely, so if there's someone who could use them as lowering devices as they exist, then that would be a better thing to do with them.

The best thing would be for you to be able to sell or give them to someone who could use them as is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.