IGNORED

Annoying noise!

rcb280z

if it make you feel any better mine (ZX 5 speed in a 75 280z) does the same. Here is something you can try if you still have the console off, try it with the rubber boot (the one you show) not installed. I think what maybe happening is the shifter is being pushed un naturally hard due to the rubber boot and the exit point of the shifter. This keeps a slight pressure on the shifter forcing it into constant firm contact with the shift forks. A little hand pressure can relieve this and you no longer get the vibration from the shift forks (which ride on the shift hubs) transmitted up thru the shifter. Different gear selections put the shifter in different angles relative to the rubber boot, thus more or less pressure put on the shaft with a resulting more or less vibration transmission from the shift forks being felt and reverberating thru the shift shaft. Again a test would be to simply remove the rubber boot, and see if it goes away. Of course this is not a good fix since that boot seals the outside world from the interior. But at least it may be a to confirm the real problem. Now next will be "my trans does not have that problem", well I suspect all transmission are not the same, some may have more or less vibration from the output shaft working its way thru the shift forks.

Edited by Dave WM

Grannyknot and CO had it figured out! Yes I just got back from a quick spin and it was the knob. :facepalm:I removed it like CO recommended while driving it and it went away. Just to be sure I continued driving w/o the knob and no noise. Wow, I've had the console out twice and added a new crack to it!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

if it make you feel any better mine (ZX 5 speed in a 75 280z) does the same. Here is something you can try if you still have the console off, try it with the rubber boot (the one you show) not installed. I think what maybe happening is the shifter is being pushed in naturally hard due to the rubber boot and the exit point of the shifter. This keeps a slight pressure on the shifter forcing it into constant firm contact with the shift forks. A little hand pressure can relieve this and you no longer get the vibration from the shift forks (which ride on the shift hubs) transmitted up thru the shifter. Different gear selections put the shifter in different angles relative to the rubber boot, thus more or less pressure put on the shaft with a resulting more or less vibration transmission from the shift forks being felt and reverberating thru the shift shaft. Again a test would be to simply remove the rubber boot, and see if it goes away. Of course this is not a good fix since that boot seals the outside world from the interior. But at least it may be a to confirm the real problem. Now next will be "my trans does not have that problem", well I suspect all transmission are not the same, some may have more or less vibration from the output shaft working its way thru the shift forks.

Yeah Dave I went through a lot of the same. But thank goodness its figured out, sort of. Looks like I may need a new knob, maybe. Or do like grannyknot did with Teflon tape.

Edited by rcb280z

That is great to hear!  I went nuts trying to track that one down. The thing that made mine so loud is the hollow space above the threaded insert and below the decorative cap in the knob, I popped the cap off and stuffed some foam in there, along with the plumbers tape it was all quite.

Edited by grannyknot

39 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

rear seal is ez pz to change

I bet you are referring to the seal at the back of striking guide. Forget about my question above. Are these seals obtainable without having to buy a complete repair kit? 

Edited by rcb280z