IGNORED

Is 16.5k too much?

MinimumSafe

4 hours ago, MinimumSafe said:

Drive it, and slowly work to restomod it! 

If you are going to cut the wheel wells to run flairs you might as well start with a rougher car.

4 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

Am I the only one who thinks that car is too nice to modify? If your end goal is anything like the red car, get something that's a bit more beat up. Original, complete Zs are a finite quantity and gradually dwindling.

I totally agree. I like some of the restomods that get done but there are better cars that can be used for this type of setup. Really clean cars are getting rarer and will have more value if they aren't heavily modified. Once you start cutting on the car, it's very hard to go back!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

People do realize that they're telling the OP to spend more of his money in the long run so that they can feel good about "saving" a 240Z, right?

I don't believe so.

He is paying for a very nice interior that he will probably modify. He is paying for a paint job that he will probably have to redo once he adds the flairs, air dam and splitter. He will probably also do extensive work under the hood or even re-power the car. So half of what he is paying for is getting redone. Now he might have to be selective on what kind of car is the right car for this project but I am sure that can be over come. The car he linked to is heavily modded. Stripped interior, all carbon fiber, carbon fiber rear bumpers, SR20DET drive train. If he goes this route, which is fine, he will use maybe 30% of what he paid for up front.

If I wanted to build a restomod I would look for a 72 or 73 or possibly even a 260z with minimal rust. A little under the battery tray would be ok if the frame rail is good. A little in the floor would be acceptable. Maybe a little in a dogleg. Frame rails would have to be good and the rockers. If the wheel arches have some rust, who cares. Cut it out on the flare line and close them up. Add the flares and move on. I am sure I could find this car for way less than $16,000. I could get the repairs done professionally and might could even squeeze the finished paint work in there too. Which would put me money ahead of paying 16k up front then adding body work and paint on top of that

I mean, I just found with a quick search, a really clean 260 with no rust and a L28 turbo already installed for $10,500...

• Like 1

rturbo suggested that there weren't enough 240Z's left to be cutting a good one up.  Original and complete.  He's just thinking about somebody butchering a 240Z.

But, still, the OP hasn't really said much about his plans.  He just wants a cool car that he can drive while he works on  it, apparently.  But he probably wants it to look nice while he's doing that, so buying a ratty car might not be an option.  Best advice might be to work out a plan on paper, with cost estimates for the various mods.  If he's going for power, maybe he should get a 280Z, with the stronger body, and R200 already installed.  With a vision of what the final product should be like, then he can go shopping.

So, the question of value seems answered.  It's worth the price.  But the question of appropriateness for his plans is open.  

Nice car, here in europe it could be a 25000 euro car.... but the way he put that car on a lift... if it was my car a would kick the technicians A$$ !!   If you buy a car like that and its owner does not want to lift the car on the apropriat 4 jack-up points.. watch out..   Never lift a car like in these pic's .  you will make dents.. as you can see..   the floors are dented inward..

On 1/29/2018 at 7:28 PM, wheee! said:

Not worth 16.5k.... more like 20!

I agree, even if you find a little more repair work this is a nice copy. Everything is there and all that is needed is a committed owner. The better shape it is in the more the owner wants. You won't be sorry. GOOD LUCK!

6 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

. but the way he put that car on a lift...

That's a good point.

Is it my imagination or does the engine seem a bit tilted? The drain plug is offset.  Maybe that's normal.  I can't find any similar images to compare to.

image.png

Probably normal.  I know that the engine is tilted.  Just never noticed how far off the oil pan was from center.  Look at the middle of the crossmember.

I tried to find the car on the California CL's but couldn't.  Wonder if he bought it yet.

image.png