IGNORED

[SOLD] WTB Stock Series 1 240Z

Guest pazt2prezent

15 hours ago, pazt2prezent said:

- 72 HAKO clone with 3.0L L28

IMG_7776 2.jpg

My OCD compels me to point out that every C10-series Skyline is a 'Hako'. The vernacular 'Hakosuka' applies to the whole series, no matter what variant. It's either a Hokosuka or it isn't. Your 'Hako' appears to be a (very nice!) GT-R lookalike. There. Said it. And breathe...

Love the Pao!

• Like 1

Guest pazt2prezent

I see you're a supporting member, and I'm glad to hear you survived the semantics of my shorthand. As a Japanese speaker myself who lives and breathes these cars, and to truly clarify further for those whose only reference for these particular cars is Wikipedia, "HAKOSUKA" is slang and a transliteration in KATAKANA for "boxy Skyline" as a reference to the shape of the car before the "KENMERI"  body style which followed (also a transliteration from "Ken & Mary," the American couple featured in the add campaign for the then new series). The term "clone" refers not to the fact that it was somehow made into a Skyline from something else, but the fact that despite having all of the GT-R parts/modifications which you could purchase from Nissan back in the day to make any trim level (in this case a "luxury" GT-X) look exactly like a GT-R on the outside, that there's no original S20 under the hood...in this case a more powerful swap appropriate for the car culture of the time. Unless you spotted differences on interior trim and seats, you'd have no idea what drove by you (quickly). I'm a purist, so mine wears a GT-"KAI" badge (hard to see in the picture), with KAI being the KANJI for "modified."  The round emblem is from Nissan's Sport Corner, the birthplace/predecessor of NISMO.

The nit picking is one of the things that bothers me about forums and why I haven't been active previously. I was asked to share picts of my other cars and I did. Give the new guy a break. I'll stick to my Z's only going forward...

Ah, you've taken my correction as some kind of insult I see.

Sorry but, as the owner of a genuine KPGC10,  I have to stick up for what's right. The term "Hako clone" means only one thing to me, and in you car's case it is clearly inappropriate. Your car left the factory as a C10-series Skyline and it is still a C10-series Skyline. It's left the factory as a 'Hakosuka' and it is still a 'Hakosuka'. If it's a "clone" (actually, merely a lookalike despite your exhortations...) of anything then it's a clone of a KPGC10 GT-R.

If you see this as nothing more than "nit picking" then you should probably have bought a genuine KPGC10 in the first place. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Sorry but, as the owner of a genuine KPGC10,  I have to stick up for what's right.

Actually, you don't "have to".  That seems to be where most of your problems start on this forum.  Your definition of "right" is not quite right.

I see you're a supporting member, and I'm glad to hear you survived the semantics of my shorthand. As a Japanese speaker myself who lives and breathes these cars, and to truly clarify further for those whose only reference for these particular cars is Wikipedia, "HAKOSUKA" is slang and a transliteration in KATAKANA for "boxy Skyline" as a reference to the shape of the car before the "KENMERI"  body style which followed (also a transliteration from "Ken & Mary," the American couple featured in the add campaign for the then new series). The term "clone" refers not to the fact that it was somehow made into a Skyline from something else, but the fact that despite having all of the GT-R parts/modifications which you could purchase from Nissan back in the day to make any trim level (in this case a "luxury" GT-X) look exactly like a GT-R on the outside, that there's no original S20 under the hood...in this case a more powerful swap appropriate for the car culture of the time. Unless you spotted differences on interior trim and seats, you'd have no idea what drove by you (quickly). I'm a purist, so mine wears a GT-"KAI" badge (hard to see in the picture), with KAI being the KANJI for "modified."  The round emblem is from Nissan's Sport Corner, the birthplace/predecessor of NISMO.

The nit picking is one of the things that bothers me about forums and why I haven't been active previously. I was asked to share picts of my other cars and I did. Give the new guy a break. I'll stick to my Z's only going forward...

I love it when informed people know what and how they want it then go out and do it. Can’t wait to hear more about your cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

4 hours ago, pazt2prezent said:

Forgot to say, this is some good new information.  At least I've never heard it before.  The Kenmeri story especially.  Kenmeri sounds so exotic and racy, but it's just Ken and Mary.  Funny.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Actually, you don't "have to".  That seems to be where most of your problems start on this forum.  Your definition of "right" is not quite right.

If I have any "problems" on this forum it'll be with people who don't understand the difference between fact and fiction. You now seem to be supporting the idea of fiction as fact. You're backing the wrong horse.

The car in question was being described as a "HAKO clone" when the truth is that it left the factory as a C10-series Skyline, and the vernacular 'Hakosuka' applies to ALL C10-series Skylines - regardless of model variant. He is misusing the term. Try describing a 1970 HLS30U as a "Series 1 240Z clone" and see what happens. People will - inevitably - point out the it can't be a "Series 1 240Z clone" when it already IS a 'Series 1 240Z'. That's what we are dealing with here.

• Like 1

• Mike locked this topic