IGNORED

Taillight panel paint

studegard

I believe this is the product  26th-z is referring to. the real problem is that by the time you buy all the ingredients you will have a significant amount of money tied up in it and probably enough material to make a sprayable gallon. It does not appear to be a catalyzed product, so pretty easy to spray

DDL DURACRYL® is a fast dry, acrylic based lacquer system designed for repair
of motor vehicles. This repair system is useful in spot or section repairs as well as
overall finishing.
DDL single stage colors can be polished to a full gloss. DURACRYL® basecoat colors
have formula comments that tell when the clearcoat is required.
Product Information Effective 11/03
P-148
Compatible Surfaces
DDL may be applied over:
· Cleaned, sanded and primed OEM or Refinish topcoat
· DPLF Epoxy Primer
· DPX801 Universal Plastic Adhesion Promoter
· DSX1900 Bonding Clear
· DX54 ROADGUARD® Chip Resistant Coating
· DZ Kondar® Acrylic Primer Surfacer
Required Products
DTL Thinners
Cold Temperature (below 50°F) DTL10
Cool Temperature (50 – 65°F) DTL16
Medium Temperature (65 - 85° F) DTL876
Warm/Hot Temperatures (85 – 110°F) DTL105
Retarder (over 85°F) up to 25% of thinner DTX114
Clear
DURACRYL® Hi-Performance Clear DCA468

22 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

But that's not me, and not what I'm talking about. I went looking for a cheap, easy to obtain over the counter solution that would not  require the expense of a body shop. Something better than the previous aftermarket solutions that might not be able to be distinguished from the original by all but maybe the most discerning experts.

The topic question has to do with correct color, not how cheap you can be with something close.  Studegard seems to think that what he bought is too light even though it is supposed to be 'correct'.  Can we please stick to the topic?

I think everyone is overthinking the correct hubcap, grill, and tail light surround color and how to match it.

I purchases a rattle can of paint from Les at Classic Datsun Motorsports and it is almost a perfect match

of color, texture, and low gloss as compared to the original.  

I have a set of NOS D-caps, and a NOS grill which are the exact same color.  When compared to a set of 

D-caps I restored with new chrome and paint from Les, judges could apparently not tell any difference.

If you really want to get into the weeds, the edge where paint and chrome meet on NOS D-caps is what I call

a soft edge with no tape line.  Good paint suppliers have a rope like product used to mask this edge and

create this soft paint edge.

attached is a picture of a NOS D-cap on the left beside my restored D-cap on the right.

Just my thoughts!

Dan

A1281AFB-8775-44CE-AD20-4E9F5F7EECB6.jpeg

I have not been able to get back to this thread since my original post but have been keeping track of all the posts.  Thanks to everyone for their input. I sure have many  options at this point and am very pleased with all the very helpful responses.  I'm new to the Z community ( purchased a 1970 Vin #509 this past November) and doing a total restoration. I'm sure I'll have many more questions. This is certainly the "Go To" place .

Thanks again to all.

Larry

Quincy,MI

dscn0879.jpg

dscn0885.jpg