IGNORED

Transistor Module swap *PLS HELP*

Halo8u

The 5 pin connector version E12-27 was used in the 78 model and doesn't have the dual pick-up function.

You can use it, but you will have choose one pickup and forget the white wire.

Have you done the simple checks to determine the tiu is your problem?

You can try the tests at the end of this instruction. Its for the 77 model, but the tests will workonthe 76.

Instruction - Fitting a 4-pin HEI module to 280Z 1977 RevD.pdf

I'll get out my multimeter and check continuity tomorrow. Reading into all of this, I think I'm going to go with a gm hei unit instead. So much more info on it, and seems a lot easier to wire up and diagnose compared to the -27. 

You don't need to worry about the white wire, except to make sure it doesn't short out.  It's looking, though, like you're jumping ahead of your problem.  You need to confirm that the wires connected to your current module are correct.  There's only five to wrry about.  Green, red, blue, black with white stripe, and black.

I did this same swap on my 76.  Use the 1978 Engine Electrical chapter, Transistor Ignition Unit, as a guide for testing.
Here's the proper pinout for the plug. "L" = blue.
image.png.6b8aaf20e35ca581cc3fa62e9fb970ee.png

That's how I have mine pinned. I did some more wiring and I'm going to test for spark today if my batteries I have on hand aren't dead. Also going to test for continuity beforehand so I don't burn anything up inside the module. If I still don't get continuity or spark, I'm going to go ahead and snag a gm hei unit and start fresh.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

You can get them at any auto parts store for about $25.  BWD seems like they make decent parts.  Or you can get AC Delco for about $55.

Rockauto has a wide selection also.  Don't forget the coil.  If you want to use the whole GM setup, get the module and external coil for a 1977 Nova with the 6 cylinder engine.  Or just get a good coil with about 0.6 to 1.0 ohm primary circuit resistance.  The 1978 280Z coils are in that range and will fit the bracket better.  You'd have to make a bracket for the GM coil.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/ignition---tune-up-16776/ignition-module-control-unit-ignitor-12521/1977/chevrolet/nova?q=igntion module

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/ignition---tune-up-16776/ignition-coils-19690?q=coil

• 2 months later...

Update: life always finds a way to get in the way of the Z. I was finally able to get to Z to run. First time in 20+ years. The gm hei unit works great. However I'm not getting anything to the tach. I've looked at the wiring diagrams, and seem to have it hooked up correctly. Did anyone else have this issue when doing the gm hei swap? Thanks in advance.

"Do it in a Datsun"