IGNORED

[2018] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

Set my float levels and balanced the SU's. Used the Float Sync for setting the floats and a color tune for checking the mixture. It seems to have worked, won't know until I get it out under load. I did notice one thing using the Float Sync, the front carb fuel level is dropping once off of idle and the rear is not. I will have to pose the question in a new post and see what the carb gods say about that. 

On Saturday I was getting frustrated about the striker plate moving on the driver side door, so I attempted to cinch it down good.

Broken Bolt on Door Striker.jpg

That didn't end well. I noticed that my attempts to drill it out were meeting with similar success. (Tip: Spring loaded punches don't seem to pack enough punch to mark the center of a bolt.

Are you familiar with the First Rule of Holes? It goes along the lines of "When you find yourself stuck in a hole, the first thing to do is STOP DIGGING!"

I called a friend from the Georgia Z Club who has restored several Z cars to ask for advice/help. Fortunately he was willing to come over (yesterday) and drill it out. First he started with a dremel tool and shaved down a little where I had attempted to drill into the bolt. Once that was smooth, he marked the center with a sharp punch, and then he started to drill. He wasn't happy with the first go, so he hit the bolt with the punch again. He proceeded to drill through the bolt. He changed out the bit and drilled through again. Using the extractor, he pulled out what remained. 

We chased the threads, and I dug though my Nissan bolt collection to find 3 new bolts of adequate length. He adjust the striker plate, and the door closed just fine.

After he left, I pulled the remains of the bolt off of the extractor. It would take a micrometer to figure out if he could have gotten it closer to center. 

Now that I've seen his techniques, I want to practice punching and drilling out the center with some bolts in my collection.

• Like 1

Brandon lent me his steamer. You steam the hell out of an upper corner.....then start a peel with a razor.....pull down on the corner until you get 4 or 5 inches to pull on, then you can rip the whole section off cleanly. Use concentrated amonia to clean up the residue. All five windows took me a total of 30 minutes. My guess is you want the car as warm as possible....my garage is heated, but you could heat the interior up with the car heater for 10 minutes first.

51C555D3-40C3-4265-B123-9D77C8D6B68E.jpeg

Edited by Diseazd

2 hours ago, Diseazd said:

Removed the tint from my 73.......

It looks so much better with the tint removed. Beautiful. To my eyes, a classic car like a Z with substantially tinted windows is like the same car with super modern wheels and rubber band tires. It just doesn't look right. You made a great improvement there. Gorgeous Z.

5 hours ago, Diseazd said:

Brandon lent me his steamer. You steam the hell out of an upper corner.....then start a peel with a razor.....pull down on the corner until you get 4 or 5 inches to pull on, then you can rip the whole section off cleanly. Use concentrated amonia to clean up the residue. All five windows took me a total of 30 minutes. My guess is you want the car as warm as possible....my garage is heated, but you could heat the interior up with the car heater for 10 minutes first.

51C555D3-40C3-4265-B123-9D77C8D6B68E.jpeg

Thanks, ammonia is a good tip. I have a car that needs stripping...

• Like 1

• Mike pinned this topic