IGNORED

3/72 Datsun 240 Z

niushork

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and also ownership of a 240Z.

Bought this car less than a month ago and the car is a 3/72 production.

I have several questions that hope some of you could help me out with.

The car came with a L28 engine (stamped in block are raised numbers reading F54)  with what appears to be a 5 speed transmission (not yet know from which car....).

I have purchased a correct L24 engine with E88 heads and a Type B 4 speed manual and will be swapping this soon but will highly appreciate your comments and help about this.

Specially I cannot figure out if the differential has been also swapped is there any way to find out?

Any tips on doing this change the right way?

The former owner that did the swap of the L24 for the L28 kept the E88 intake manifold in order to retain the original L24 carburetors and air intake.

As I get some answers will try to upload some pics.

MANY THANKS for all your HELP!

Thanks for that, saw that article, the actual engine has P90 heads. But I'm scratching my head about the transmission...

In case that the differential was not changed and is still the one that came with the car, do you think I will have to find a new drive shaft?

1 minute ago, niushork said:

Thanks for that, saw that article, the actual engine has P90 heads. But I'm scratching my head about the transmission...

In case that the differential was not changed and is still the one that came with the car, do you think I will have to find a new drive shaft?

I took the OE 4 speed out of my '72 and installed a later 280z 5 speed without issue other than the clutch collar.  The 4 speed is shorter so the collars have to match the transmission.

9 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Great looking car!  I had one similar, #110 paint code with white interior.

DSC01351.JPG

DSC01603.JPG

Yes, mine also has the white interior. Two extra questions: 1. Where can you get the 240z side decals (love those!) and the hub caps (which I got from eBay and I'm working on restoring) seem to be gray. Is that correct?

They match the rear brake light finisher panel which is a Duplicolor Graphite spray paint.

Here's the thread with pics, click on "CanTechZ replied to a topic" below.

Here's the best one's I've seen, https://stripegarage.com/collections/datsun-240z-260z-280z/products/datsun-240-z-triple-stripe-vinyl-decal?variant=14729170374