IGNORED

77 280z rust free original unmolested parting out in Las Vegas

tzagi1

No doubt, a title is the definitive proof of ownership.  But I'm confused how different states apply different laws.  For example,  Georgia does not require a title on vehicles older than 1985.  Bill of sale is good enough.  Tennessee requires a title.  When I went to title my Z purchased with a BOS,  the DMV told me it was not worth the effort and the BOS was ample proof of ownership.  When I asked what if I wanted to sell my car to someone in Tennessee? the DMV responded that TN would honor the GA BOS and handed me my License plate.

@tzagi1 There's your answer. Get a Georgia title and license and transfer it to Nevada. Might even work. I couldn't and wouldn't do it. I'd always doubt that the car was really mine and not the legal property of some poor guy that lost his Z in a divorce. I'm still not convinced it was hers to sell. A bill of sale is not proof of ownership in Oregon no matter how old the vehicle is.

And BTW... DMV.ORG? Seriously? At the top of DMV.ORG's website it says:  "DMV.ORG IS A PRIVATELY OWNED WEBSITE THAT IS NOT OWNED OR OPERATED BY ANY STATE GOVERNMENT AGENCY." so forget about anything you find there. If someone is looking for info on Nevada rules, then they should go to Nevada DMV site.

But about that note on DMV.COM?  It's true. Sort of...

According to NV rules, You do not need to have a title in hand to sell a vehicle that is more than 9 years old. Instead of the seller signing the title over, the seller can fill out a request for a replacement title instead along with providing a BOS. So while that note on DMV.COM is technically true, it's an incomplete cherry pick sound byte of a more complicated procedure.

Here's the procedure as described by Nevada DMV:

You must provide a properly signed-off title to the buyer in private party sales, family sales or gifts. Any loan or other lien must be satisfied first.

The only exception is if the vehicle was 1) last titled in Nevada, 2) is more than 9 model years old and 3) has no liens or the owner of record has a lien release, the buyer and owner of record can then complete 1) an Application for Duplicate Title (VP 012) and 2) a Bill of Sale to transfer ownership.

So you either sign over the title, or if the title is lost or mutilated, then you can have the seller fill out the request for a replacement instead of signing over the original.

Ref:
http://dmvnv.com/regprivate.htm#selling
http://dmvnv.com/pdfforms/vp012.pdf
http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/vp104.pdf

Edited by Captain Obvious
add ref links
  • Like 1

Didn't this horse get turned in to sausage just a short while ago?  Selling parts from a car you don't have title to is what chop shops do.  You can call it taking a risk, or everybody does it, or what else could I do, but it's all the same.  Big picture, since it was a divorce, you're probably doing somebody's dirty work.  Tainted parts.

4 hours ago, tzagi1 said:

the car was sold to me as "for parts" no title" if I am to seek title...I'm on my own.

• Like 1

Called the dmv and they are no help, basically whoever (the property owner) where the car was left has to go to court and have a judgment to declare the car "his"

However...I did talk to a friend of mine that happens to work at an impound lot, he said no problem, $500 and you will have a title within 90 days...thinking about it...

I've done that to.  My buddy that owns a wrecker service did me that favor for $100.  After 90 days he can get a replacement title in his name for resale to get his storage fees back.  That may be your best bet?

You/he doesn't have to wait the 90 days though, just a little white lying on the paperwork. 

Rules are made to be broken. :D

14 minutes ago, tzagi1 said:

That's one good buddy...$100 is what the lien sale service used to cost..

He's made a lot of money off me the last 30 years. I request him specifically when I go to jail/hospital. Don't let the cops call in the wrecker. They call their kickback buddies, small town home cooking.

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

He's made a lot of money off me the last 30 years. I request him specifically when I go to jail/hospital. Don't let the cops call in the wrecker. They call their kickback buddies, small town home cooking.

You shouldn't be such a good customer...;)

57 minutes ago, Patcon said:

You shouldn't be such a good customer...;)

Not a lot do in a small town as a young man but get into trouble or be a broke father.  I chose trouble and have no regrets. Dogs are this man's best friend.

19 minutes ago, Mikes Z car said:

Sigh, I have never been to jail.

It's an experience of a a lifetime. Once you've spent the night in a cell you never want to do it again but I'm hardheaded. My last visit was the in 2006, 112mph in a 45 on  ZRX1100, drunk enough to fail the breathalyzer but my lawyer got it dismissed.  Small town politics,  the judge and my lawyer were in practice together before the judge got seated.  Alabama is backwards but if you play their game it is easy to get by with just about anything.  Once again, home town cooking.

Actually it sounds like they were a lot of help and you're just looking at it wrong. They told you that you are already (or are about to be) in possession of stolen property, but didn't send the authorities to find you. I think you should be happy with that result.

Yes, adhering to the law can be "inconvenient". It usually costs more, and usually takes more time. But it's the right thing to do. And a $500 payoff to a buddy who works at an impound despite the unscrupulous and questionable origin of the car is not the right way to do it. If it was never declared abandon in the first place, then removing it is called theft.

There seems to be a trend by tzagi1 here of "attaining" vehicles from people who never had the authority to sell them in the first place. Some people call that fraud. And because you actually know it's wrong, that makes it even worse.

Remind me to never buy a car from Nevada. Rust free or not. I'd be worried it was stolen and passed through hands like this.

@Mike   Tough to do, but I've had enough.

Captain Out.  Seriously. Someone should call the authorities.

• Like 1