IGNORED

Cody's Goon

Patcon

This is how it currently sits.

20171203_110148.jpg

It runs and he has been driving it to work some. We have had a loss of power problem recently. I took the carb off and checked it and we don't seem to be loosing fuel flow. So I suspect water in the fuel. So we added some gas dry. We have the hatch off right now and we are working on getting it changed over to orange. We are doing all the individual panels one at a time then we will pull all the remaining glass and spray the body of the car and have the headliner redone and reinstall the glass. WE can get away with this because it is a solid color and if you shake the paint well, the colors should match ok. This way he can drive the car as we paint it. Instead of breaking it down for years like I have done with my projects. Plus it has the added advantage of being the only car like this for 100 of miles. So if he acts stupid I will probably hear about it..

20171203_110157.jpg20171203_121934.jpg

He has also grown some in the time we've had the car...:o

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

So we spent the last few weeks working on the hatch. It turns out it has been hit hard at some point. Right in the license plate. Some one did a fair job of reshaping it but it still needed work. We worked on it for a couple of weeks. I looked some at replacements but they were really expensive for some thing in much worse shape. It is really hard to get the crease lines right when you have no metal to guide you. I shot color on the inside a week or so ago.

20171216_201646.jpg

Color on the outside on Thursday and clearcoat on Friday

20171230_103633.jpg20171230_103637.jpg

20171230_103647.jpg

Still getting tons of trash in my clear coat. I think I am going to redesign the booth to try to eliminate some of that.

We cut and buffed today. Sanding on clear coat is down right spooky. I hate it...:blink:

This is wet sanded 1200, then 2000 grit. Used a cutting compound then a polish at about 1500 rpm's

20171230_145214.jpg

This is where we ended up. 99% of the trash is gone. It's looks good unless you get really close and at the right angle

20171230_152042.jpg20171230_152052.jpg

All of the "orange peel" is gone. I didn't have much to begin with, which helped

Buffed all the hardware and he reassembled the hatch. I had plated all the latch hardware over the last few weeks

20171230_184138.jpg

We will have to source new license plate lights because one of these is badly dented. I will also need to source the exterior hatch vent pieces...

Edited by Patcon
  • Like 3

On a separate note. I need some pointers on the rear hatch glass. We have a new rear window seal from Baz at Datsport in Australia. I need to get the trim off the old rubber seal. Then I need polish the glass and reassemble.

Questions:

Do I install the trim first like on a Z?

Do I use a sealant under the weatherstrip?

Do I use a string like on a Z?

20171230_103701.jpg

This is the trim. It snaps onto the seal somehow...