Patcon

510 Su's

Oooo...! I’d like to be a fly on the wall for that! I’d even bring the entry fee!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, wheee! said:

Oooo...! I’d like to be a fly on the wall for that! I’d even bring the entry fee!

I don't know about Jim but I'm cheap! :P

For reference these are the stock floats

20180407_154650.jpg20180407_154652.jpg20180407_154653.jpg

Pretty much every vertical line on the float was a small crack. So they fill up with fuel.

Here is the replacement from Z therapy

20180414_130348.jpg

Pretty much the same price as Courtesy Nissan so I would encourage supporting the little guy who is so good to our community!

• Like 1

I have to get a pair of those too! A fella in town here had the same problem. Same cracks.

Craziest thing I've ever seen. Float full of fuel, shake rattle and roll and can't get a drop to come back out.

Edited by zKars

3 minutes ago, zKars said:

I have to get a pair of those too! A fella in town here had the same problem. Same cracks.

Craziest thing I've ever seen. Float full of fuel, shake rattle and roll and can't get a drop to come back out.

I heated them with a heat gun and they would shoot out a fine line of fuel, like a syringe. Heat and pee, heat and pee. I got one emptied out that way. I thought about soldering them up, but when I found the others were available, it was a no brainer. The new floats are solid and will never sink...

Funky! I'm sure the old-time carb guys would recognize that in an instant, but that's the first time I've ever seen something like that. Makes me wonder what was going on and caused that phenomenon.

It's so even that it almost seems a relic of the original construction method. Stress risers caused by the ring rolling process to form it into a cylinder? Gear driven, and the pitch of the gears has something to do with the distance between the cracks?

Hermetically sealed container that has been flexing and changing shape with many years of temperature changes and finally gave out?

Some sort of corrosion phenomenon?

Funky!

I think you're probably not too far off. They may have thin spots there on the floats or raised areas there from rolling them. The float bowls have a series of raised ribs that run vertically to keep the floats centered. So they rub and bang against those ribs all the time. So they either wear a hole at these cracks or cause stress cracks along these vertical lines of the float

Talked with Bruce, those 16067K1407 floats are $40USD a piece... I'm sticking wine corks in my float bowls...

3 minutes ago, zKars said:

Talked with Bruce, those 16067K1407 floats are $40USD a piece... I'm sticking wine corks in my float bowls...

I don't remember what I paid but I don't think it was that much. Check Courtesy just for a point of reference. I guess one of my thoughts is the float needs a specific bouyancy to work properly. So I didn't want to try to engineer a work around...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.