IGNORED

New Find.70 240Z

borini63

Finally...The Z is  alive and running off a gas can right now.The motor sounds healthy and solid.Got lucky there.....the Z been sitting since 2002 and I thought it has a bad engine.I had to replace the mechanical Fuel pump(the old one starts to leak). Also swapped to 280ZX Distributor...much efficient and way better than points!! 280ZX internal reg Alternator next.

Such a releaf ...now I will jump to fix the clutch and brake system.so I can drive it around!!

Scratched couple things from the long list.......

DSC05947.JPG

DSC05948.JPG

DSC05949.JPG

DSC05950.JPG

DSC05951.JPG

2 hours ago, tzagi1 said:

You are a tad advanced, retard it by a hair.

I'm not knocking your assessment, but I'd love to know how you concluded that from the video? You don't know if the car was chocked or where the idle adjustment screw is set. Difficult to see from the vid, but idle looked around 8-900.

Is this based on your intuition? Didn't sound like it was running a high idle?

By the sound the starter made, go to the vid and listen...that hiccup is a due to too much timing.

That btw is how we used to set timing without a gun, keep advancing a little at a time Until it sounds like that...then retard it a notch and its set. (I know it's not the "proper" way....but in a pinch it works.) for example....changing a cam on a SBC in the auto parts store parking lot (Barstow CA circa 1988) with a tool kit that can fit in a woman's purse..

• Like 1

Yeah a new battery but got weaken due to a lot of cranking to start before using the 280ZX Distributor, I will tighten the posts and recharge it. I will recheck the timing again tomorrow and get back to you guys.......When we did the timing we just lined up the magnet teeth thing inside the distributor(sorry I don't know what it's called) and made sure the balancer mark lined up with the arrow on the timing cover(there is no numbers plate there.....just an arrow plate). After that we just fire it up and Voalla the engine started.

Still though I need to adjust the valves and again recheck the timing.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I am wondering if I can use a 15/16 Brake master cylinder instead of the regular 7/8 master in my 240Z.I have 15/16 master laying around and just to save some money and maybe I will upgrade the brake system in the near future??