IGNORED

2018 ZCON Information

SteveJ

6 minutes ago, JSM said:

Oh man I'll need to go being so close and in October to boot!

Edit: Just got permission from wife to!

Tell her you need to come up for the Mitty in April as a test run. :)

By the way, my wife will be compiling a list of shopping places for conference attendees who may not be as interested in Z cars as the rest of us.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Mike pinned this topic

We sent out the invites for guests recently, so we don't have responses back, yet. I'm pretty much counting on John Morton being here on account of his friendship with Randy. I can't remember the full invite list, but it does include some familiar names like Yamasan and Matsuosan. 

The track day will be at Road Atlanta. Even if you're not taking a car on the track, it's a great place to hang out. People in the Southeast who haven't been to Road Atlanta before might want to come down for The Mitty this year and get an idea of what things are like at the track. It's one of my favorite hangouts in the Atlanta area. I believe we will also be trying to recreate the photo taken at the previous ZCON in Atlanta.ZCON-1995-Color-Adjusted.jpg

The autocross will be at Lanier Raceplex. The facility began its life as an oval track, and the current owners paved the infield. It makes for a tight, short autocross course, and competitors should be able to get in several good runs. It will definitely focus on handling and concentration as opposed to horsepower. 

After autocross, there's not much reason to head back to the hotel quickly because we also have an evening of karting at Lanier Raceplex planned, as well. These karts are capable of speeds up to 60 MPH. For people who aren't able to bring a car for track day or autocross, here's your chance to show off your driving skills.

There will be a trip into Atlanta one night for an evening at Sweetwater Brewery where you can sample some local craft beers. For those of us wanting an alternative experience, I am trying another karting event together at K1 Speed. It's an indoor facility with electric karts. It's also within staggering distance of the hotel, though I'm not trying to imply that it's part of a pub crawl event. 

We're also planning to lead a drive though the North Georgia Mountains. The Prezident of the GZC is a Civil Engineer who has spent much of his career working with GDOT on the roads in North Georgia, so he is very familiar with the best of the twists and turns in the area. We'll plan a route that will take the group up to Helen, GA, a community with architecture modeled after an old German town. 

I'm getting together a list of shopping and wineries, as well as a good list of local attractions. I'll include some off-beat opportunities and small car museums, too, like the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame, Old Car City USA, and Tank Town USA. 

By the way, the Sonesta Hotel was picked in part so people can easily drive to places like Road Atlanta, Lanier Raceplex, and the other attractions of North Georgia. If you leave in the morning going north, you should be able to avoid most of the commuter traffic.

We are hoping to give convention attendees the opportunity to have as much fun as they want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mike unpinned this topic