IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

Wow great work, duff!  I have a new to me 5 speed close ratio 5 speed rebuilt by Whitehead which is great with the 3.70 clsd but I have felt in occasion steeper gears would be work.  Yours is going to be super fun.  Enjoy!

5 minutes ago, duffymahoney said:

TFC in Oregon, they do Z theraphy's stuff, and I was impressed, so I switched, this is the 3rd zinc shop I have used, they are my favorite. But prep is key.  This batch is a little more blue/ purple then I would like.  

Good to know. So your hardware is prepped and clean when you send it? I went to a shop an hour away from me in Asheville and the two guys I needed to speak too weren't there. I emailed one of them and he didn't respond. So I am operating on the premise that they are not interested in helping me. I would prefer to send money to people who are interested in helping me...Anyone in particular to talk too?

I would use local, try and stop by the shop.  I bet you can figure it out.  

If zinc is intact and oxidized or whatever, then i don't do anything.  Rust has to be removed, paint has to be removed, some places can acid bath before, so not much prep is needed at all.  

2 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

I would use local, try and stop by the shop.  I bet you can figure it out.  

If zinc is intact and oxidized or whatever, then i don't do anything.  Rust has to be removed, paint has to be removed, some places can acid bath before, so not much prep is needed at all.  

Not really any place local and most commercial platers don't want to mess with it. If I'm going to have to ship it, then it doesn't really matter how far I ship.

I had a good conversation with Luis @ TFC a minute ago

Nice. TFC has been great. 

I am making my starter pretty (vapor) Plus my r180 cover. 

Starter will get a nos solenoid, then some zinc and some black paint. I can’t get the side screws out so they will get painted. Should look nice. 

27B53B9B-5798-42AF-9B3B-2C256FCB4532.jpeg

6E2537F8-E4C5-4FE9-88CF-487DE3DC0C5F.jpeg

• Like 1

I screwed something up in the trans rebuild, it becomes tight with the front cover on, plus I guess I love spending money, so I decided on the KA swap for my 240z.  This is a longer tail shaft on the trans, so it should fit in my series 1 better (no cutting), plus the 1st is better gear ratio and 2nd is slightly better.  I found a 1989 240sx trans, with 576 miles on it.  It's been in storage inside since 12/01/89!  Zinc is still in tact.  Paid too much for it, but hopefully it's good.  The shop tested all the gears and syncros.  

Troy Emerish Racing will do the bell housing mod.  He is just about as cheap as my local machine shop, plus has done a ton of them.  

Using this info for reference

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/Transmission2.htm

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/240SX5spd/Transmission2.htm

IMG_1680.JPG

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg