IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Oh how I hate rebuilt components that I did not do myself.

That helicoil should not be in the sealing path for brake fluid. The seal should be made at the beveled surface inside. Assuming, of course, that the helicoil is installed straight and square to the seal, and is actually the correct metric thread for the application..... No guarantees on any of that!  LOL   I hate rebuilds!!

The helicoil is installed wrong.  I think too deep or something, it ruins the brake line it attaches to.  Also I have stainless transfer hoses, which I think I need to clean up the fittings.

2 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

The helicoil is installed wrong.  I think too deep or something, it ruins the brake line it attaches to.  Also I have stainless transfer hoses, which I think I need to clean up the fittings.

How does it "ruin" it?  Might be a clue.  But, if you just don't like helicoils, or any repairs at all, it doesn't really matter.

Helicoils are just normal repair for any screwed up threaded hole.  Screwed up threads are common, that's why "helicoil" is a well-known word of the trades.  The other thread insert guys probably hate that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=helicoil+definition&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2irG9h8nZAhVC3WMKHXvqAPUQBQgkKAA&biw=1496&bih=727

No offense, but once you understand how they work they're not bad when properly installed.  Your case sounds like poor installation.  It's not the thread insert itself, it's the way it was installed.  So, you're right, it was a "half fix" but it's a very common fix.  That's why they didn't tell you, probably.

You might find thread inserts in some of the other holes that didn't leak.  Wouldn't be surprising to find them in the Posi-Quiet calipers either.  "Original equipment" just means it started on a Nissan, before they rebuilt it.  They didn't cast and machine their own calipers.  Notice that they show new pistons, but not new calipers.  Better check.

Sorry.  I'm a bubble buster.

• 1 month later...

Well I drove the z! She runs a little rough.  I think electronic ignition, check timing and fiddle with the carbs are next.  Also install exhaust.  Boy is it loud with nothing:)

I had to take the brake switch block apart.  It was gummed up and causing some issues.  I also screwed up on the 1" Mc push rod adjustment.  So it was stopping me from bleeding correctly and also gave me terrible brakes.  Re adjusted and it's working well now.  I could use a little more brake, but I think that would mean a bigger booster.  

20180419_223828223_iOS.jpg

20180419_162505441_iOS.jpg

• Like 2