IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

Powder is thicker then paint. But that depends on how much is used, I had him go thin. Powder melts at around 500 degrees. I can see the half shafts getting that hot. 

All surfaces mate up nicely with the powder. I guess I could remove it. But I could just check all bolts after a break in period. Which was my plan already. 

Any other input? Don’t the bolts hold it in place?

The powder any job-shop or coater would normally use for this type application would be thermoset therefore u are good to go in that respect, most likely a TGIC or a urethane, both polyester resin. Epoxy powders will give better chemical/ gas resistance but will chalk eventually. Most solvent born coating would be in the 1-3 mils. range (DFT) and powder could be 2-10 mils depending how heavy handed they were. 2-4 mils powder would give your great look and protection. Sometimes tight tolerances and powder can be a problem unless masking/ plugs are used. Sorry for the details, been in the coating business for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

Looks great! Did you get new tank straps from Skillard too? I ordered a set with my Techno Toy order for my 76 and they are fantastic quality.

If you order some, make sure you specify the year of the car several times. They shipped me the wrong ones twice. Third time is the charm I hope!

Here is the 70-74 size next to my original 75-76 strap set.

IMG_6145.JPG

1 minute ago, wheee! said:

Looks great! Did you get new tank straps from Skillard too? I ordered a set with my Techno Toy order for my 76 and they are fantastic quality.
If you order some, make sure you specify the year of the car several times. They shipped me the wrong ones twice. Third time is the charm I hope!

My straps were fine, I just had them powder coated and glued the insulators back on.

I'm going to be a little nosey here but I've done two tanks with Red-Kote and muratic acid.  If you don't mind saying, how much did it cost?  You could send me a PM or just not respond and I completely understand.  I have had a couple of offers to do this for a guy and one of his buddies.  I know the cost of materials but no idea what to charge for labor.  

Thank you, Cliff.

6 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I'm going to be a little nosey here but I've done two tanks with Red-Kote and muratic acid.  If you don't mind saying, how much did it cost?  You could send me a PM or just not respond and I completely understand.  I have had a couple of offers to do this for a guy and one of his buddies.  I know the cost of materials but no idea what to charge for labor.  

Thank you, Cliff.

Radiator shop hot tanked it, acid dipped it, then I powder coated it then we did redkote.  Also installed another drain for the redkote.  I paid 200 for the dipping and acid.  The redkote was free since he spilled (around the sending unit) some and I bought the materials.  I ended up giving him a gift card for the work.  He wouldn't let me pay him, since my tank looks flawless other then that.  

• Thanks 1