IGNORED

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

Home Built by Jeff

I am planning on the same type of mod, fitting the bumper to the car and then butt welding the ends on. I will match the ends as close as possible, cut them flush, then tack them while mounted to the car for position. In my climate, rust will take hold of any crevice...

• Like 2

Jeff

I repaired, (or at least attempted to) the drivers side dogleg. After I got the part welded in I sprayed it with a coat of rust coverter to avoid surface rust. A few days later I went over it with filler but it wasn't skin coat, it was finishing filler. After 3 months or so it began to seperate. I thought about that when you put rust converter on yours. Will seperation not occur if a skin coat is used first? It seems the proper way to apply filler be it skin or finishing is to apply it directly onto bare metal. Please keep us updated on any issues you may have with your finish. It was pretty easy to chip off the filler on my car after seperation began. Maybe it was something to do with my application.  My plan is to sandblast it clean and then reapply. Since colder weather is aproaching there will you be able to press on with body work?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, esmit208 said:

Jeff

I repaired, (or at least attempted to) the drivers side dogleg. After I got the part welded in I sprayed it with a coat of rust coverter to avoid surface rust. A few days later I went over it with filler but it wasn't skin coat, it was finishing filler. After 3 months or so it began to seperate. I thought about that when you put rust converter on yours. Will seperation not occur if a skin coat is used first? It seems the proper way to apply filler be it skin or finishing is to apply it directly onto bare metal. Please keep us updated on any issues you may have with your finish. It was pretty easy to chip off the filler on my car after seperation began. Maybe it was something to do with my application.  My plan is to sandblast it clean and then reapply. Since colder weather is aproaching there will you be able to press on with body work?

You can't just put body filler over anything. The old rule of thumb was body filler must go straight over bare metal, but with some of the new epoxy primers you can put filler over the top of them. You still need to make sure you sand them up well too to 'key in' the filler. It is always less it best with filler too.

So you shouldn't put it over any old rust converter. Only an epoxy primer designed for it. 

Edited by Home Built by Jeff

@Home Built by Jeff, hey I went through and cleaned up your links for ya.  There were some double and triple videos in the posts.

Sorry it's a little confusing to post videos here.  Easiest way is to copy the link from Youtube in the "share" option on the bottom right of your videos.  After posting them, it should show a video directly in the forum.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mike said:

@Home Built by Jeff, hey I went through and cleaned up your links for ya.  There were some double and triple videos in the posts.

Sorry it's a little confusing to post videos here.  Easiest way is to copy the link from Youtube in the "share" option on the bottom right of your videos.  After posting them, it should show a video directly in the forum.

Thanks. I don't know why it was doing that, as I was just pasting the one link straight into the text box and it would come up with multiples. I couldn't work it out with my small brain, so thanks for sorting it ;)

On 3/24/2018 at 4:51 PM, Mike said:

It has just done it again. No idea why as there is only one link?