IGNORED

Wiper arm linkage assembly parts

SurferD

Fascinating read. Thanks for the write ups. I did wonder why that part of the mechanism had such a large diameter, when only a small pivot would generally be required. I think everyone who reads this will now want to test theirs out! 

Glad to help. I was just the messenger. My buddy @GGRIII figured most of this out. All I did was confirm his analysis when he explained it to me. He was the real brains behind this one!   :geek:

I really do wonder how many Z's there are out there that actually have a functioning original park system. Like I said... Tie breaker at the concourse shows!  :)

I don't know about the owner's manuals, but the factory service manuals started specifically describing the park feature in 74.

Prior to that in the earlier years, they talked about the "rise up angle" being a small angle in addition to the "actual operating angle", but didn't specifically mention "park". I don't have FSM's earlier than that so I don't have any input into the first two years.

Yep.  Bench-tested two motors today and both demonstrated the reverse rotation when OFF was selected.  Not always a full rotation, though.  Depends on where Off is triggered during the the regular 360-degree rotation cycle.  It`ll be interesting to see whether the rotational clutch has time to engage during the less-than-360-degree reverse rotation.  I'll know soon, because I made my own replacement spring.  Wiper assembly goes back in the car tomorrow, so I hope to be able to report tomorrow evening.  Stay tuned.

Nissan kept the FSM's relatively low-detail for the first three years.  It wasn't until the 260Z arrived that the broadr descriptions and new, detailed diagrams started to appear.  If you have a 70-72 Z, theres's a lot of worthwhile info to be had, provided you know how to filter out the stuff that doesn't apply to your model year.  In the case of the Wiper system, for example, you have to ignore the discussion of the 'Intemittent' feature.

BTW, I find it interesting that the plastic molding for the Combination Switch stalk in my 70 Z clearly incorporates a 'dot' (not painted) for a third Wiper speed setting.  Kind of like they knew from the outset that they were going to add either a 'Medium' or  'Intermittent' setting later on.

Yea that would be some nice change. Star Wars didn’t come out until 1977 so it’s a possibility but I seriously doubt anyone on that crew was wrenching on their own cars. 

Edited by SurferD

3 hours ago, Patcon said:

Maybe George was working on a Datsun when he was working up his movies... :D

If you google "George Lucas Cars", you'll see pictures of him with just about every type of car EXCEPT a Datsun - from Cobra to Tucker.  He's definitely a car guy and thought he'd be a race driver and mechanic until he was almost killed in a accident in his Fiat as a high school kid.  Gotta love the cars he chose for American Graffiti.

Dennis

• Like 1

Namerow,  Don't know how your music wire project is turning out, but I was at a parts store today and spied the spring that I think could be modified to replace the original clutch.

Dorman's HELP line P/N 59207 is a blister pack of assorted throttle return springs. To my eye, one of them looks pretty close to the dimensions of the wiper clutch spring. Don't know if you have HELP stuff in the Great White North, but it looks like this. The second one from the left:
9110109_rnb_59207_pri_larg.jpg