IGNORED

Tail Gaters...

ramsesosirus

12 hours ago, siteunseen said:

What do other people think of tapping their brake lights when someone is on your bumper?

My uncle did that and my parents didn't want me in the car with him driving. Early '80s too, he was just being a dork.

Too dangerous.  I let off the gas and slow down to EXACTLY the speed limit or 5 below.  Then I speed back up to what I was doing.  If they come back I do it again.  They usually get the message by the second time.  Since I usually drive about 5 over the message is, "I could drive slower..."

• Like 1

That's what I do as well.

After getting a couple speeding tickets in my past, I now pretty much lock my speed right at six miles an hour over the limit. Unfortunately that isn't enough for some drivers behind me. If the guy behind me is really being a dikk, I slow down to exactly the limit. They usually get the message and accept six over.

Another facet that drives me nuts is the guy who rides your butt even when there's another car in front of you. It's not like the guy behind you would be going any faster even if I wasn't there. They would still be limited by the next guy. And the next. And the next.

A-holes... all of them. I hate everyone.    LOL

Remember what George Carlin says?

• Like 3

On 9/4/2017 at 5:29 PM, siteunseen said:

What do other people think of tapping their brake lights when someone is on your bumper?

My uncle did that and my parents didn't want me in the car with him driving. Early '80s too, he was just being a dork.

Decades ago, I learned to drive on the family 1961 Chrysler.  A cool feature of Chrysler cars in those days was the push button gear selector on the dash instead of a shift lever.  The "Reverse" button was a two position switch.  Push it in halfway and the back up lights would come on before the reverse gear engaged when the button was fully depressed.  The very bright back up lights on the '61 Chrysler were mounted high above the tail lights on the huge Virgil Exner designed rear fins.

When someone was riding my tail, I would push the reverse button halfway in and accelerate, the high mounted back up lights would light and the immediate reaction of the driver behind me was to hit his brakes.  Problem solved.

Dennis

• Haha 2

On 9/4/2017 at 5:44 PM, siteunseen said:

Driving now is like playing chess, you're always looking ahead. In these old Zs it's like playing chess with irreplaceable pieces. :(

Great quote, exactly how I feel.  No matter what I'm driving, it seems I avoid catastrophic accidents (due to other drivers) almost every day, if not multiple times!  I really don't care if someone hits my DD car, accidents happen... but sometimes it's blatantly clear that certain cars are more than cars, and I personally enjoy merging behind "nice/collectible/classic/etc.." cars when I see them, just to be the guy that drives good behind them.  Knowing how I appreciate it, when i'm driving "my" car.

My Z isn't restored or super nice, but it looks great for what it is.  So I want to enjoy it, drive it!  But things like this really make you want to park it...

On 9/5/2017 at 8:51 AM, Captain Obvious said:

That's what I do as well.

After getting a couple speeding tickets in my past, I now pretty much lock my speed right at six miles an hour over the limit. Unfortunately that isn't enough for some drivers behind me. If the guy behind me is really being a dikk, I slow down to exactly the limit. They usually get the message and accept six over.

Another facet that drives me nuts is the guy who rides your butt even when there's another car in front of you. It's not like the guy behind you would be going any faster even if I wasn't there. They would still be limited by the next guy. And the next. And the next.

A-holes... all of them. I hate everyone.    LOL

Remember what George Carlin says?

Yep, it's like "Sorry, I can't modify the laws of physics and go THRU the car in front of me!".   And it's not like my DD Tahoe, where you can't really see what's happening in front of the car, Z's are so small and low, it is usually #obvious what's occurring in front of the car.

On 9/4/2017 at 7:32 PM, rcb280z said:

My father used to do that crap and it just pissed off the tailgater But he would HIT the brakes. Still does it. You'd think he would have learned by now. :facepalm:

That is the kicker, you really can't do anything.  I wouldn't mind pulling this in most cars, it's their insurance and my back... but the whole point in classics is that really, I don't want you to hit me and I'll usually do whatever I can (turning, pulling over, changing lanes, flooring it) but sometimes I have no where to go! 

• 2 weeks later...

An unavailable so far aftermarket gizmo (any inventors here?), not sold yet, comes to mind which would consist of a push button within the reach of the driver that releases black horrible smelling smoke (maybe that driver favorite, essence of skunk?).  My theory is that the sloping back of the Z makes it seem safe for following drivers to get close to.  I would never put a long object with prongs on it in the back hatch sticking out in the direction of the driver behind, to make the driver behind keep their distance but I have thought of it.  Usually I get out of their way or pull over and let 'em pass.  hmmm. ...Maybe a few artificially created backfires would help...

1 hour ago, Mikes Z car said:

An unavailable so far aftermarket gizmo (any inventors here?), not sold yet, comes to mind which would consist of a push button within the reach of the driver that releases black horrible smelling smoke (maybe that driver favorite, essence of skunk?).  My theory is that the sloping back of the Z makes it seem safe for following drivers to get close to.  I would never put a long object with prongs on it in the back hatch sticking out in the direction of the driver behind, to make the driver behind keep their distance but I have thought of it.  Usually I get out of their way or pull over and let 'em pass.  hmmm. ...Maybe a few artificially created backfires would help...

Haha back in the day (high school) my cars would emit that smell constantly, and not to aggravate other drivers... Skunks smell like a certain plant that I used partake in the smoking of... if you know what I mean.

Whenever I'm driving with someone and we smell a skunk, they're always like "Eeew", while I'm thinking, that smells like some very good marijuana.  Haha It's true

• Haha 1

Ya now what... I just let them go faster if they want. I will make it as easy as possible for them to pass. This makes it much more safe for me to go 6 over. Sometimes you actually get the enjoyment of passing them because they're pulled over for speeding. I like to call them "Sweepers".