IGNORED

280zx 5 speed going into 75 280z

Dave WM

yepper 1st thing I did when I got the trans. I had a 3.7 cog in it, popped for a 3.54 which is what I have.

Clutch is in, got the old shifter out by just removing the knob and dropping it out, put the gator on the replacement trans, all set for a big day tomorrow.

I still think I have a good shot at just leaving the shifter on and reversing the process.

Trans is in, starter and speedo hooked up, rev light hooked up. Still to go the shifter, pretty sure I can engage it from above so as not to pull the center console.

Lessons learned..

1. Spend the 80$ at harbor freight for the trans scissor jack, made all the diff. I struggled for 2 hrs with my home made scissor contraption.
  2. buy some long bolts 10mm 1.5 cut off the heads and use them as alignment tools. I had on the top and one on the side.
  3. use those to put in the starter too.

it prob took me 20min start to finish getting the trans to engage with the above setup.

"So let it be written so let it be done" Ramses II

the exhaust is in, just have to button up the cat heat shield, take care of the vapor line, and apply some of that rust encapsulator product on some of the surface rust noted on the bottom. will finish off with some under coat where it has flaked off. I noticed the clutch has a very light spring pressure, not sure if its less that what was there, just that I noticed it so prob is less, great for those 98 lb weaklings that get sand kicked in there faces at the beach (oh that does not happen anymore due to anti bullying these days, never mind).

Edited by Dave WM

Test drive went great. clutch engages much sooner but still fully disengages for easy shifting. Its been a while since I had a MT car, perhaps this is normal (as clutch wears full engagement takes place later, seems like that would follow).

The clutch action is very smooth, noticeable improvement. Speedo works but have not confirmed, but should be correct. Rev-3rd work smooth, could not get out of the block to try any higher gears, had to call of car work for work work and hurricane prep. Full testing will be done prob next week when I have some time to take it out on the freeway.

over all a big plus :)

The range of engagement is partially a function of the marcel spring.  The wavy one between the friction surfaces.  It compresses, but allows early contact of the surfaces.  Some interesting technology in those simple looking parts.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1429/Clutch-Technology-Part-3-Clutch-Disc-Construction.aspx

Good luck with the 'cane.  Florida's just a big sand spit though, so should drain pretty quickly.

Edited by Zed Head

well this sux, my second test drive I noticed a lot of gravely sounds, like bearing issues. I did NOT rebuild the trans just new seals, penny wise pound foolish. I don't know why I did not notice on the 1s test drive, prob the excitement of getting it done must have dulled my perception.

So will have to commit to another long weekend to pull the trans and put the 4speed back in. At least I will not have to fool with the Clutch. You can feel the grinding noises thru the shifter, no noise in neutral, my guess is a bad bearing. The 4 speed was dead quiet.

Not a total waste, I got good at the process, and had to replace the clutch and rear main anyway (leak).