IGNORED

My 240z project

joe newsom

• 1 month later...

Had a great weekend working on the zcar

Got the front suspension torn apart and media blasted and coated with POR 15 / minus the steering rack. Will have todo some more research on how to move forward on that.

All nuts and bolts zinc plated along with some other goodies.

Transmission cleaned / polished and sprayed with caliper paint. It was getting dark so pic didn’t turn out that well.IMG_4407.JPGIMG_4408.JPGIMG_4386.JPG

Dialed in my garage too haha

IMG_4446.JPGIMG_4445.JPGIMG_4423.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Joe,  your plating looks terrific, care to reveal your method, procedures or secrets?

Agree with Grannyknot and Patcon.  Maybe it's that clean northwest coastal air.

Can I send you a box of my parts that still need plating? :P

Started out by picking motormans brain, he turned me on to Caswell. After a week of bugging their tech and scouring the internet I got the basics understanding. I think the using caswell’s calculator really helped. However I do think the most valuable thing that I really noticed a difference is putting the brightener in each time at the beginning. About a teaspoon.

6 hours ago, joe newsom said:

started out by picking motorman brain, he turned me on to Caswell. After a week of bugging their tech and scouring the internet I got the basics understanding. I think the using caswell’s calculator really helped. However I do think the most valuable thing that I really noticed a difference is putting the brightener in each time at the beginning. About a teaspoon.

What are you using for power supply? What are your plating times? Dip times? Are you using Blue Chromate? You could always post up your experience and methods in my Caswell thread for posterities sake

• Like 2

Patcon I will post up some pics and process on that thread if I can find it. I have found on my phone the app is abit difficult to look up threads.

Here is power supply

Dr.meter

4.2 out of 5 stars 189 Reviews

Dr.meter 30V/5A Single-Output DC Power Supply 110V/220V Switchable with Alligator Clip included, US 3-prong Cable,PS305DM

I thread all polished hardware on to 18g brass wire. I found that other materials are unpredictable and left pieces in the same soak dull

Then dip in muriatic acid 50/50 distilled water until it quits fizzing.

Rinsed in distilled bucket

Let hang into degreaser at 120 degrees until ready usually about 15 min.

Load into zinc tank. Which is constantly heated to 75 degrees with one of submersible heater for fish tank. Loads were calculated to run at 5 amps the max my rectifier will do, for 15 min.

Trying to remember to rotate in middle of load became challenge.

Dipped into Blue Chromate for about 5-10 seconds

Dipped into Yellow Chromate for about 15 seconds

Yellow chromate I mixed myself using 10 oz of sodium dichromate which I bought cheaply on eBay and 1 oz sulfuric acid ( battery acid) to one gallon of distilled water.

All other products were bought at Caswell

Hope this helps. I really noticed the difference in the properties of the zinc by adding brightener at the beginning of each day I was going to zinc. Noticeably different outcome when I didn’t add it in the beginning of my day.