IGNORED

1973 240Z Resto Mod for sale

zKars

9 hours ago, zKars said:

So, I am now tempted to do the previously un-thinkable. Strip it bare and rebuild it as stock as I can get it. Leave only common mods. Wheels, seats, spoilers, maybe a simple modern stereo. 

Jim, that is exactly what I had to do with the /70 Z I had before I sold it, stripped all the goodies off and kept them for the next car. Those are some very nice mods, shouldn't be hard to find a buyers for them.

I think Gav240Z's recommendations are on the money.  The minute you start personalizing/customizing/improving a car, it looses its appeal for collectors and you limit the potential-buyers pool to very small group of individuals -- people with exactly the same taste as you, but who lack the skill, time/patience, or facilities to do the work themselvesThey have to trust your workmanship, too, or else they'll be looking for a bargain on the price to help compensate for the uncertainties.

Buyers with deep pockets are looking for originality  --  preferably non-restored originality, right down to original paint and interior.  For proof, look no further than the 260Z that just brought $46K on BAT.  While most of us on this site consider the 260Z to be the red-headed stepchild of the Z family, the collector who paid big bucks for the car clearly had different motivations.

More BAT examples:  A very clean and original 240Z located in Montreal recently attracted $33K, IIRC. It probably would have brought even more had it: 1) not been located outside the USA;  2) not been Ziebart rust-proofed (although it seems to be one of the few examples of a Ziebart job that actually worked), and; 3) not had the engine compartment re-sprayed.  A couple of years ago, a bone-stock 72 240Z (located in Toronto) with an undesirable red-over-white color combo (but original paint) and an auto trans also brought over $30K.  This one, too, was probably hurt by being offered by a seller located outside the USA

• Like 1

The photos in this thread are not complete.

The google image share link a few posts back have a more complete set. I have been freely sharing it with anyone who has expressed interest in the car. I admit to be a bit presumptious about my understanding of the most important issue to most folks as I am too familiar with this car and how low-rust I know it to be.

The only rust I can find these days is a small bubble on the passenger side dog leg. I've had the car stripped to bare metal, fixed the very few tiny areas of rust, and sealed/painted every square inch back in 2010-2011. Of course like all Datsun's it's rotting from the inside out where I failed to get to, ie inside the rockers at the rear dogleg area. 

Edited by zKars

The mods don't bother me.  My concern is you want $25K but didn't post pictures of the common rust areas.

I have seen this car and know Zkars quite well. His level of craftsmanship is borderline obsessive/clinical treatment required....
I am sure Jim can provide the pictures you seek, but rest assured this car is worth more than asking...

• 1 month later...

Ok, I give up. A guy can only take so much. I've heard everything from "too many changes, what if something goes wrong" to "there is too much undercoating and sound deadening, so I can't tell what rust might be hiding" and everything in between.  

So, I'm keeping it. None of you get to experience its greatness. In fact I'm going to drive my overly complicated, too modified rust bucket like I've never driven it before on this last nice day of Fall. I may even get some winter tires and alternate between the 510 and the Z all damn winter. Because I can.

Bitter? yeah, slightly.  I'll get over it.

Edited by zKars
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Did a majority of these people see it in person and or ride in it and or previously owned one? I do think you have a specific market with a resto mod and you might have to sit on it for a while to find that certain buyer . 

This is a learning experience for me since I will be doing a resto mod on my 70. I don’t have the original motor so I’m kind of stuck in that direction . I was going to go more for a period hot rod myself . Like said above , stock seats and other stock interior bits , but maybe a modified L24 or L28 . Exterior wise I was going to be modified like yours , but wonder if I shouldn’t stay stock and have a sleeper !

interesting indeed

55 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Did a majority of these people see it in person and or ride in it and or previously owned one? I do think you have a specific market with a resto mod and you might have to sit on it for a while to find that certain buyer . 

This is a learning experience for me since I will be doing a resto mod on my 70. I don’t have the original motor so I’m kind of stuck in that direction . I was going to go more for a period hot rod myself . Like said above , stock seats and other stock interior bits , but maybe a modified L24 or L28 . Exterior wise I was going to be modified like yours , but wonder if I shouldn’t stay stock and have a sleeper !

interesting indeed

With the sales on BAT going so high, have you considered selling there?