IGNORED

1973 240Z Resto Mod for sale

zKars

Ok, here are some interior pictures.

Overall Dash and console view.

IMG_0192.JPG

The steering wheel is actually from my 510 project, I decided the nice one in the Z was better and pilphered it.  It's so ugly in there, have to get the black SEM dye out....

Seats from 90's Z32, power drivers side. Comfy. Yes those are NOS door cards.

IMG_0193.JPG

The center stack is all custom. Vintage air controls up top, generic controls in the middle (hazard, rear defrost, other), and the slide out pop up  double DIN touch screen stereo with Satellite radio and backup camera. When it's up it hides the center controls but not the HVAC controls. THAT was fun to install.....

Top is a pair of AC outlets (280Z) and the AFR gauge in the middle.

IMG_0198.JPG

11 hours ago, JSM said:

Love the AC ducts in those spots. Always thought those were a great spot for them. 

Thanks! Nothing like nice cool air in the face. The 280 outlets can be closed as well, unlike the 240 eye balls. And they are small enough to fit.

The Speedhut gauges are multi-gauge so I'm not losing any instrumentation. Speedo/Tach,  and oil/water/volt/fuel in the other.

Yes, they are antiques. Better on a roadster or something right?  They are in great shape and run very well.

The SU vs Mikuni's is an interest comparison. Without doubt the 44's do better at wide open throttle and nearer the top end. But since I spend, oh I don't know, 99% of the time just driving around town in a spirited fashion, the SU's feel pretty much equal. Oh yeah, they are easy to start, get better mileage, overall drivability is better. 

Edited by zKars

• 1 month later...

Well here is an interesting development. I've had lots of interest in the Z, but so far, no sales. The statistical trends around the reasons for saying "no thank you" are now repeatable and cluster around a single item. It's too modified, ie too many unknowns.

It matters not that its nearly rust free, has a lovely paint job, has been proven reliable, and is just plain beautiful to look at. The fear around "what if something goes wrong" is too much it seems.

So, I am now tempted to do the previously un-thinkable. Strip it bare and rebuild it as stock as I can get it. Leave only common mods. Wheels, seats, spoilers, maybe a simple modern stereo. 

Given the recent BaT sales that shows the big money goes to the best perserved and original cars, I'm wondering if I won't be ahead if I sell the "stock version" for similar money that I'm asking for the "resto mod version" and as a bonus, have a truck load of modified parts to sell off separately. Am I dreaming or on to something?

So, who wants a R200 CLSD, CV's, coil overs, a stroker motor, ZX 5 speed, speed hut gauges, Vintage Air A/C system,  touch screen stereo, etc etc etc?

Edited by zKars

My humble opinion and take it or leave it because at the end of the day modifications are to an owners taste, but I personally would change the following:

1.) Steering wheel (go back to the wooden stock item).

2.) Seats go back to the original seats.

3.) Remove the dashboard modifications (go back to stock gauges and remove the vents in the dash) and heater facia panels* + radio (if at all possible to source?)

4.) Gear stick makes it look like an auto, go back to the original (with a 5 speed knob)

5.) I would probably put the Mikuni's back on for a stroker motor.

6.) List on BAT

* I see you have Vintage Air con etc.. so this might not be so straight forward.

I like the body work, car has nice period correct front and rear spoilers etc.. You can't easily revert paint to stock, but the colour is nice enough just not original. I think it would certainly drive nicely and make an excellent weekend warrior. 

I was pleasantly surprised to see this 260z reach $46k USD.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-datsun-260z-7/

Which is a strong indicator that stock original examples are where the money will be in future. In my opinion that was always going to be the case because so many of these cars have been changed and in my humble opinion a lot of the charm is in the original car. Not that I'm adverse to modifications, but i think keep the overall aesthetics original, drive train and other components (out of sight) can be improved etc.. without too much harm on values. Having said that I recently had a gearbox rebuild for my early 72 240z (AU market car) which would have had a 71A box originally, I used a 260z 71B box (close ratio) with 71C extension housing (so gearstick came through stock position like early cars) and I was not quite sure if I should even do that! Part of me wanted to go back to 71A but people keep telling me their not that great! So I don't always take my own advice. :D

Gav, thanks for the input, I really do appreciate your opinions. The more I think about it the more I am leaning in the "go stock" direction.

Fortunately putting it back to "stock-ish" requires only time for me. I have a fully loaded prepaid VISA card at my favority store, Z-Mart (my basement...).

I even have a pretty good set of flat top carbs for the 73! Maybe that's going a bit far... I'm nuts but I'm not crazy.

Edited by zKars

2 hours ago, zKars said:

Well here is an interesting development. I've had lots of interest in the Z, but so far, no sales. The statistical trends around the reasons for saying "no thank you" are now repeatable and cluster around a single item. It's too modified, ie too many unknowns.

That is really odd to me, to modified.  To me all the mods improve the unknowns.  I think they may be taking the mods and comparing  prices against bone stock Z's?  Maybe they want more of a stock Z and that for the price your asking it doesn't make sense? 

Not like an LSD isn't serviceable or a stroker motor. Heck the vintage air is way better than stock ever was excluding the freon difference.