IGNORED

I have Fairlady S30-01036...need some advice

carnutatthebeach

I own several early Z cars, but my most prized is my early S30 Japanese model Fairlady Z (2 liter) pre-240Z.  It's fitted with an original real g-nose. I was told it was raced in Japan before being converted to left hand drive and shipped to the US (all the old places on the firewall are covered over from conversion). It has a rollbar, and factory race bucket seats...super light! . One "rear deck" behind the seat storage bin, one plastic behind the seat storage box. Original 2 liter engine. It has the early rear deck with vents. It was originally Grand Prix Red, which I've read the ZG's only came in 3 colors, that being one of them. The tag under the hood says S30-01036, not HS30-01036. Can someone with more knowledge fill me in to exactly what I have? The car is overall very solid. I know it's special, so I'm looking forward to your responses! Thx! 

9 hours ago, carnutatthebeach said:

I own several early Z cars, but my most prized is my early S30 Japanese model Fairlady Z (2 liter) pre-240Z.  It's fitted with an original real g-nose. I was told it was raced in Japan before being converted to left hand drive and shipped to the US (all the old places on the firewall are covered over from conversion). It has a rollbar, and factory race bucket seats...super light! . One "rear deck" behind the seat storage bin, one plastic behind the seat storage box. Original 2 liter engine. It has the early rear deck with vents. It was originally Grand Prix Red, which I've read the ZG's only came in 3 colors, that being one of them. The tag under the hood says S30-01036, not HS30-01036. Can someone with more knowledge fill me in to exactly what I have? The car is overall very solid. I know it's special, so I'm looking forward to your responses! Thx! 

Some observations;

'S30-01036' would indeed be an early 1970 production (probably January or early February) S30-S Standard model 'Fairlady Z' or S30 Deluxe model 'Fairlady Z-L'. A closer look at your remaining trim and accessories should tell you whether it was a Standard or Deluxe model, but it's more likely to be a Deluxe just based on the law of averages and the stainless trim that I can see.

The G-Nose assembly, whether it indeed is a genuine factory item or an early aftermarket copy, would have been attached to the car after (probably quite a way after) October 1971. The original colour of the car looks to be #905 red, which would be correct for a 1970 production Fairlady Z or Z-L. The 'Grand Prix Red' choice on the Fairlady 240ZGs was actually #110, so a different shade. It's kind of a moot point anyway as your car clearly isn't a Fairlady 240ZG.

I don't see anything specific that would point to circuit race use in-period. The seats are aftermarket sports seats and are certainly not factory race seats, the centre drop bar brackets for the roll hoop look to be an aftermarket copy of the Nissan Sports Option items (yours appear simplified in comparison to originals) and there's an awful lot of interior re-trim with non-standard materials evident, along with a later centre console. It looks like a fairly typical 70s/80s 'street tune' car to me.

The photo of the left door interior looks - to me - to show it is a later replacement.

Does the engine bay tag match up with the body serial number engraved on the firewall?  

Edited by HS30-H
added a bit
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, carnutatthebeach said:

and what's the g-nose worth since it appears to be an original?

Is it a five piece g-nose or one of the type with fewer pieces?  You'll want to include the g-nose hood hinges if you sell.  No headlight covers may knock the price down for some potential buyers.

Dennis

It's a correct five piece and I believe by the fitment and quality it's an original Nissan piece. The only reason I'm considering selling it is it isn't correct for the car if I restore back to original. I might make the car into a ZG clone. If not, I can put the proceeds towards the resto. I have the plexiglass headlight covers in storage I believe. I know the nose and covers are worth a decent amount. Also, this car has been tucked away for over 35 years, which again only leads me to believe the parts are original Nissan.

9 hours ago, carnutatthebeach said:

Here's a pic of one of the hood hinges...is that the correct one for the g-nose? Hood is off the car in storage. Also, a pic of the bumper piece showing construction and mounting points. Looks original to me.

Yes, hood hinge and front bumper look to be correct for genuine Nissan-supplied items.

Hard to value with so few photos though. Condition is important.

• Like 1