IGNORED

Bought # 4858

madkaw

So  this is getting more interesting. 86mm bore and  O- ringed . The cam seems basically stock . Shims are .035 so betting chambers are about 39cc .

cant upload any pics right now for some reason

IMG_1439.JPG

Edited by madkaw

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

So this is getting more interesting. 86mm bore O- ringed . The cam seems stock . Shims are .035 so betting chambers are about 39cc . The top of the head was also surfaced . Head passed a pressure test and is .009 out of flat . Valve seats look like they were done right but still investigating . Cam will have to be turned , most of the rockers are okay ,  it some have some pits. Springs are rusty enough to warrant not using them . Lash pads and retainers are okay . I'm going to try and make a good head out of this e31 . Ports were only blended for the bigger seats 

Crank journals and bearings have had a hard life

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

On 7/30/2017 at 10:53 PM, gwri8 said:

I painted my 71' Black in 1976 with an original black interior. Black on Black so to say.  I loved it, It was a head turner back before the 78 Black Pearl came out.  A real cooker in the summer though, especially with no a/c.  Oy Vey...

71 240Z.jpg

I did the same thing with my first Z back in the early 70's. Beautiful, but a PITA to keep clean.

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

• Like 1

I would like to cast a vote for your color choice.  I have clean low mile car in great shape painted what I feel is the most attractive color for a 240z but my life wont be complete until I get a 918 orange one. I have an old rusty car I am considering taking the plunge on.  It is the same lime green as yours. If I decide to go ahead, I gotta go with orange.

3 hours ago, 87mj said:

I would like to cast a vote for your color choice.  I have clean low mile car in great shape painted what I feel is the most attractive color for a 240z but my life wont be complete until I get a 918 orange one. I have an old rusty car I am considering taking the plunge on.  It is the same lime green as yours. If I decide to go ahead, I gotta go with orange.

I feel the same way about the lime green, I want one bad. 

Guys - it's just a stock cam that will have to be reground to be anything of interest to me .  The head is my main concern. The block is toast but might be able to sell off the pistons and rods and the crank will probably polish up. Not sure if I want to try and punch out another L24 just make this engine again. 

I did contact one of the previous owners and he said it ran like well, but he didn't do the work

I wonder what the story is on this engine? Those pistons are unique.....who made them (cast not forged) and why the light valve spring retainers? Shaved head for compression, but a stock cam? Why a stock cam, and are you sure it is stock? Was this a transplant from a 70's race car? Looks like someone drove the hell out of it.....maybe raced it. Very interesting....wish it could talk.