IGNORED

Those running clear Dorman filters to their SUs

JSM

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

You may be on their list too but I got an email from Zcardepot.com that has a 240/260 low pressure pump set up on sale for under $30. Check it out if you haven't seen it. Looks like a good one to me.

Yeah this one? https://zcardepot.com/fuel/fuel-pump/electric-fuel-pump-carburetor.html?search=Fuel+pump

Looks like the Airtex:

https://www.amazon.com/Airtex-E8016S-Universal-Electric-Fuel/dp/B000C1LW0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499569897&sr=8-1&keywords=Airtex+E8016S

It's not about them deteriorating, it was about them not staying assembled inside. When the filter cartridge comes loose ( if it's the replacement type) , it blocks the outgoing fuel. Mine was even intermittent which was really frustrating . I would think Dorman is the same as Mr Gasket- but I could be way wrong. Or maybe I had the only one that came loose- but the fact that it can happen vs a throw away plastic one is why I say get rid of it. 

Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this possibility 

I don't know what those clear filters are made of these days but only about 10 yrs ago it was just cheap pot metal under the chrome, I had one disintergrate on me, well not on me, on top of a Ford 302 V8. I had all the pockets of the Edelbrock intake manifold full of boiling gasoline, the engine was hot and I was sure the whole car was going to go up in flames any second. The pot metal threads just let go with no warning, I'll never use one again and every time I see one I have to give my little blurb. Pot metal is crap and doesn't belong on a gas filter, hope yours is made of something stronger.

I've got three extra fuel pumps and I would send you one for shipping costs.

i have a RX7 pump and an extra and a Carter . I replaced pumps thinking that was the problem, but it was the freaking filter . Now I'm EFI , so ....

13 minutes ago, JSM said:

Thanks guys. Appreciate the experiences. Yeah I'm heading down the EFI road. I'm just very slow getting there. 

If you go EFI you'll have to spend more time on something not as relaxing, like (forgive me married people) but hanging wallpaper and painting and working in the yard, etc.  8^(

10 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

If you go EFI you'll have to spend more time on something not as relaxing, like (forgive me married people) but hanging wallpaper and painting and working in the yard, etc.  8^(

EFI is simple also, just different. I'm talking plug and play, not tunning like madkaw is going through. Carbs are simple too don't get me wrong. I think SUs are one of the simplest ever honestly. 

I've already stolen the EFI from my 79 parts car that I got running very well. Just time.  That is my first step. Trying to make small steps.  I have bad tendency to lose focus.

I have gobs of turbo parts. Just been collecting for awhile. Been all over the place wanting this and that HP wise. Had 2 LS1 donor cars and sold those off. The first car was wrecked and auto then I wanted a 6 speed. Bought a nice trans-am 6 speed for cheap. I really understand why people go LS1. I couldn't bring myself to canibalize the car.  Then I needed money for a second house so I sold everything. Luckily I was able to buy back my Z I sold.  That is another weird story.

At this point I'm simply trying to use what I have. My 71 is not very original someone already swapped in an L28. So why not.

I'm shooting for a conservative 300HP now. Anything more things start breaking and I'm only going to run 225/50 out back. 

Yes. 4.5 is pushing it and may be over the limit. New needles and seats in the float bowls MAY be able to handle the extra pressure for a while but sooner or later you'll end up with excess fuel in the float bowl causing a rich mixture (sooty plugs) and possibly overflowing float bowls (engine compartment fire). Anywhere from 3 - 3 1/2 psi will work fine.