IGNORED

Rear bushings

Dave WM

You might have just cursed him.  The hole gets deformed on the sides sometimes so sideways isn't the same as rotate.  I used an old lug nut (same thread) to rotate the pin, to loosen it up and distribute the PB Blaster, and to beat it part way out, but rotating was much easier than sliding.

I also used stacks of washers and a piece of pipe and other things to build a puller on the fly.  But eventually I pulled the threaded end of the pin right off and had to beat the rest out with a long bolt.

both are out, 1st on came right out with a drift, second one was more of a challenge, had to use washers for an impromptu puller, worked. 1st side is done as far as the strut, dumped what was left of the oil, cleaned, refilled, bled air out, reinstall spring. while I had it out I pulled the e brake auto adj mech out, it was a bit gummy so I put some antiseize on it and reassembled. Now I get dumb, I ordered the wrong inner bush, I did not realize they were diff size so all I had was the short ones. Order the replacements but with the holiday and weekend, prob will not get back to it until next weekend. Still have to do the other strut but all the hard part is done. Used the BFAW to get the glan nut off, had to temp reinstall the control arm just to be able to stand on that while turning the nut off. Hope the second strut is not as hard. I decided to pass on replacing the front diff mount, the one in there looks perfect and is a SOB to get out, looks like you would need to pull the entire diff to get at the top nuts holding it on. The way its installed I cant get a socket for an impact driver either from the bottom. I did replace the lower mustache bar insulators, they look pretty beat up. Did not notice the inner bush looking bad on those so that will be another day (I have the OE rubber bushes for that as well).

Will take the time to clean up and paint the control arms since I have to wait anyway for the inner bushes now. Just going to knock off the surface rust and put some POR on them. will see if I can find a puller for the outer control arm bushes. I have those as well and would like to replace them. they don't really need it but heck the car is 43 yrs old so I figure it deserves it.

13 minutes ago, Dave WM said:

I decided to pass on replacing the front diff mount, the one in there looks perfect and is a SOB to get out, looks like you would need to pull the entire diff to get at the top nuts holding it on. The way its installed I cant get a socket for an impact driver either from the bottom.

Sounds like you're thinking like I used to think.  Focus on the part being worked on alone.  I've since realized that it's often easier to just remove a complete sub-assembly.  From where you're at now you could drop the diff and mustache bar and crossmember all as a sub-assembly.  Then take it apart.  You already have the half shafts disconnected.

While you're there you can install that 5 speed.  ;)

When I was messing around with my diff, I replaced the original mount hardware with socket head cap screws coming up from the bottom instead of the original hex head bolts. Here's the thread where I was talking about all of it. Thread is pretty much useless now because all pics are dead because Photobucket SUCKS, but here it is anyway:
http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/55955-my-new-diff-mount-and-strap-project/

The bottom line is if you go through the effort to take the front diff mount off, I would use different hardware when you put it back on. Here's a couple pics showing the idea:

P1090646.JPG

P1090781.JPG

P1090785.JPG

argh, so I ordered the wrong bushings AGAIN, I think I have cornered the market on outer CA bushings, so waiting again for the INNER FRONT  bushings. I will NOT be replacing any of those and now I have 6 of them. More on the diff mount, I can get at the nuts on the top pretty easy with the struts out, got a breaker bar on it but that has limited throw, so I went with my 1/2 ratchet. I put what feels like an insane amount of pull (don't want to pull the car off the jack stands) and nothing, tried PB plaster and penetrating stuff to no avail. this is when I really wish I had that induction heater tool. Anyway since I have to wait for the bushings I will try one more thing, the freeze spray stuff. If that does not do it I will just leave as is. This has got to be the longest my Z has not been started since I have owed it.

On 7/8/2017 at 4:43 PM, Dave WM said:

More on the diff mount, I can get at the nuts on the top pretty easy with the struts out, got a breaker bar on it but that has limited throw, so I went with my 1/2 ratchet. I put what feels like an insane amount of pull (don't want to pull the car off the jack stands) and nothing, tried PB plaster and penetrating stuff to no avail. this is when I really wish I had that induction heater tool. 

Which hardware is giving you an issue at this point? You indicate you are working on the diff mount and you have the struts out but I cannot picture which fasteners are giving you trouble.  I did a full rear suspension rebuild on the '72 240z I owned and can't remember anything but the spindle pins giving me any real trouble.

Okay.  So you can get the nuts off of the top but the long bolts are stuck?  If that is the case, just drop the diff to work on getting them out.  You are taking everything else apart, getting the diff out, cleaning, painting it along with a drain and re-fill of fluid will help round out your rebuild efforts.

nuts stuck, don't know if the bolt would then be the next issue, I am sure its frozen as well. I don't have to hold it so it clearly is in there stuck too (or it just so tight it does not need to be held from the bottom). For now I am just going to leave it be, insulator looks ok, I had a new one but not worth the effort at this time. Diff has had a recent drain and refill.

Edited by Dave WM

finally got the right part, so reinstalled the control arms and struts. Just have to bleed the brakes, then I can put the tires back on and get some weight on the suspension before tightening up the various bush bolts. Hope to get back on the road tomorrow, need to get back on my hood watch circuit. I am glad I got the new spindle pins/rubber washer/ and esp the spindle pin nuts. did not like the idea of reusing that old stuff.

Edited by Dave WM

Is there an interesting story behind the shoe shine box? My Grandad had one almost exactly like your avatar but I remember it had some burgundy felt/satin like stuff on the shoe holder. He was a sharp dresser and his shoes were like mirrors. Your avatar really brought back some good memories for me and I thank you. He would let me "polish" his shoes and then put me to bed and redo them! I never knew that until after he passed away. 8^)