IGNORED

Wanted: 240z (preferably modified) - Cash Waiting

Jay.

2 hours ago, rturbo 930 said:

If you're willing to start with a 280Z, you could maybe find one more locally. I found a dude on YouTube  who bought a '77 in England. The guy had two for sale.

280Zs are unquestionably better built, but whether or not they are "better" depends on what you want from the car, and what you like about them. 240Zs are definitely more raw/vintage. Basically, from the factory, a 240Z is more sporty and nimble, a 280Z is more of a GT car. You can make a 280Z feel more raw/vintage, and you can make it look like a 240Z, but that will require effort and money. Some would consider that the fun part, some don't want to bother. Also somewhat depends on what mods you want to do. For me, 240Zs are at the point where I'm getting kind of uneasy seeing people drastically modify them (ie, engine swaps, cutting/welding the body), at least the nicer ones. I'm becoming a purist, lol.

Thanks for the Series, I had a watch of them. The person he bought it off is 1 of 2 mass Datsun importers and are pretty notorious for bad customer service and inflated prices. I'd expect the guy in that video to have paid well in excess of $12-15k for that.

I know what you mean, but I imagine I'll probably change my build multiple times so I'd like to stick with the 240z as a base. I've had a Miata which I went through all the "stages" of ownership from full race car, to drift, to fast road, to completely OEM and back to a sort of hybrid

Edited by Jay.

3 hours ago, Jay. said:

I think if I was going for a non-240z, surely the 280z would be the better option as stated from @rturbo 930they seem to be the best built?

Frankly the 260z is almost completely overlooked outside of the Z community.  Like @rturbo 930 said the 280 headed towards GT car style in that its longer and heavier.  To me 280's feel more 80's techno-fantastic vs the 240/260 vintage feel.  The 260 is an improved 240 instead of a whole new car like the 280.  

My 260 has 240 bumpers on it and even people with Z's assume its a 240 because they haven't seen a 260.  From the outside I think the only give away is a different set of tail lights.  

20161211_105355 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kurbycar32 said:

Frankly the 260z is almost completely overlooked outside of the Z community.  Like @rturbo 930 said the 280 headed towards GT car style in that its longer and heavier.  To me 280's feel more 80's techno-fantastic vs the 240/260 vintage feel.  The 260 is an improved 240 instead of a whole new car like the 280.  

My 260 has 240 bumpers on it and even people with Z's assume its a 240 because they haven't seen a 260.  From the outside I think the only give away is a different set of tail lights.  

20161211_105355 - Copy.jpg

That does look lovely, and you're right it's impossible to tell to the untrained eye!

If a 260z does come up, and it's the right price and condition, I'll definitely consider it. Same can be said for a 280z. I would just pay a premium for a 240z, for now.  

Edited by Jay.

27 minutes ago, JSM said:

Was the 240z on hybrid that was on eBay and BAT to much?  I thought I saw you post over there. I think he is a dealer too and could likely arrange shipping. 

The one texis30O is selling? I think he's looking for one that's not quite so nice. Honestly, I'd call that car a resto candidate.

• Like 1

The White car with the Gold stripes is still on the table - I might be arranging to get it picked up next week. Even as a side project, it seems good value and a pretty solid base.

I've been in touch with a guy selling a nice blue 240z with an RB25DET swap for the last month or so. Pretty much 100% up my street. He's messed me around a lot which puts me off - we'd agreed a sale, and then he pulled out, and then he went silent, and it appears he tried to sell it to someone else who wasted his time - but it appears he's finally comfortable with selling it me so I'll be getting it looked at and maybe picked up next week too.

The car hasn't really been maintained particularly well in the last 4 years - he says he's just had it serviced and not replaced much in the way of anything, so that can be worrying. However, the price is pretty fair (in total will cost me around 15k) and it ticks all the boxes I'm after.

Some rust on the drivers dog leg, and a small spot on the door. Underneath appears clean, if not a bit of surface rust on the bottom of a door (i think)

Engine swap looks nice, all seems to be in good condition.

Fingers crossed he doesn't pull out.. again.

19113261_1733934919955633_325185922_n.jpg

19204695_1738331742849284_972116439_o.jpg

19141746_1733753099973815_893914566_n.jpg

19149070_1738342089514916_6779335900388654325_n.jpg

19105547_1738341872848271_1820497195544685757_n.jpg

19113857_1738342059514919_4073372300684297328_n.jpg

The other buyer that wasted his time may have found something that wasn't disclosed?  I'm being critical with my comment but I feel like you should really go over the car, drive it long enough to see if it over heats or loses oil pressure. I don't know anything about those motors but the way he's messing with you I'd be extra careful. My .02$ worth.

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

The other buyer that wasted his time may have found something that wasn't disclosed?  I'm being critical with my comment but I feel like you should really go over the car, drive it long enough to see if it over heats or loses oil pressure. I don't know anything about those motors but the way he's messing with you I'd be extra careful. My .02$ worth.

How is he going to go drive it? He's in another country, lol.

I agree, something about the situation described there feels off. Seller strikes me as a bit sketchy. Also, it has had the floors done. You can see the seam. It could be a good car, but I would proceed with caution. Get someone on here who is local to go check it out, or find a shop to have a PPI done. Also, the rear flare is mounted wrong. Looks wonky.

1 hour ago, rturbo 930 said:

How is he going to go drive it? He's in another country, lol.

I agree, something about the situation described there feels off. Seller strikes me as a bit sketchy. Also, it has had the floors done. You can see the seam. It could be a good car, but I would proceed with caution. Get someone on here who is local to go check it out, or find a shop to have a PPI done. Also, the rear flare is mounted wrong. Looks wonky.

You are right, I miss a lot of that kind of stuff.  Personally I would never buy a car "siteunseen". :D

Airplane ticket at least for a $15,000 purchase.

Edited by siteunseen

There are people that will act as transaction agents for things like this, for a fee.  There are a few threads on this site from people who didn't get what they thought they were getting.  Even the shipping companies can make mistakes.

Edited by Zed Head

Thanks for the quick responses guys, you are all really helpful. This has honestly been one of the most welcoming forums I've been to. 

I spoke to the previous buyer, and he confirmed the sellers story - they couldn't agree on a price. He offered the same as I did and the seller rejected it as I'd said I'd pay that before. 

The seller said that the floors were replaced 4 years ago by the previous owner, along with the rear hatch bit. 

My brother and his friend (who owns a 240z) are both out in Detroit and are going to go buy it on my behalf. They're both car guys so I'm confident they'll check it over... But they're not z experts at all, so I'll need to brief them when I can. Assuming it starts from cold well, doesn't smoke or make any odd noise, keeps good pressure, drives nicely then I'm confident they'll be okay to check it. I'm more worried about the s30 specific things. Is the carpet easy  to lift to check the floors for rust? 

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

There are people that will act as transaction agents for things like this, for a fee.  There are a few threads on this site from people who didn't get what they thought they were getting.  Even the shipping companies can make mistakes.

I will likely use an agent to transport the car etc, and if my brother isn't confident in okaying the vehicle then I've found a classic expert who will inspect it for around $500.. Not cheap at all though!