IGNORED

Designing A/C System Using Other Cars Parts?

Captain Obvious

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Holy crap, that seems high, especially when you consider you still need an evaporator and expansion valve. Does it even say anywhere what you get for the money?

It doesn't spell it out, but they offer two systems... 1) What they call their "complete" system, and 2) what they call their "underhood" system.

My belief is that the underhood system includes everything you need except the evaporator (and expansion valve), and the controls. I think it's got everything else, including the interconnecting lines.

• 5 years later...

@Captain Obvious - Did you ever figure out your whole system? I am starting to think about this as well and wanted to follow up on what you chose for the various parts in your AC system.

In particular, I was wondering what you chose for your condenser, as I see Z Car Source offers a bolt in one. I'm trying to figure out how it compares to the ones Vitage Air recommends,

3 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Sorry Matthew, but I haven't made any significant progress with my A/C.

I have collected all the stock parts I need to put a system into my car, but other than collecting parts, that's it.

I'm going to start talking with Nostalgic AC when I get back from ZCON. My tolerance for no AC is getting depleted, especially with these mid-summer ZCONs.

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I thought your tolerance for no A/C got depleted that year you tried to ice bath yourself while driving. Wasn't there some goofy thing with umbilical cords to a cooler of ice water and a pump?

No, it was a fan that blew air through the cooler. The ice would be melted in about 20 minutes. I wasn't willing to try your suggestion of swapping out to dry ice.

@Captain Obvious, you mean you haven’t already done all my work for me?!?!?! Man!

But in seriousness, I was intrigued by the original premise of your thread. I have been wondering if one could pull the compressor and condenser out of a newish Nissan and make them work. I am guessing they would be super efficient compared to some of the aftermarket options available.

In addition to looking at the two condensers I mentioned earlier, I’ve been looking at OEM options from the last decade as well as things that have the drier built in.

No luck so far but I might find something. I’ll probably opt for the Z Car bolt in one, though.

Edited by Matthew Abate

Years ago the refrigerant in the A/C system of my 1994 Nissan D21 pickup ran out so I deleted the entire system.  Regardless of whether or not that was a mistake, the Compressor, condenser, and many of the fittings and lines looked to be very similar in design principles to that which was on my '80 ZX when I deleted it's A/C system.  Not sure how much the ZX system has in common with the S30, but it may a start to research. 

The ZX stuff would seem like a good starting point, but new systems would be set up for r134. I’m foregoing anything that isn’t purpose built to handle r134 so that I can avoid leaks and to just make maintenance easier.

I think step one for me is going to be trying to figure out the bolt pattern for the condenser.

If anyone had one laying around and wants to help draw up a patter, let me know. If anyone has the one from Z Car Source and could write a review, that would also be helpful.

From there maybe I can talk to Vintage Air and try to get them to tell me which one of theirs is closest. I might also be able to figure out a Nissan part that is close to that.

Edited by Matthew Abate

11 hours ago, Matthew Abate said:

you mean you haven’t already done all my work for me?!?!?! Man!

LOL  Sorry. I've really been meaning to get on top of my A/C project, but time keeps on slipping, slipping.

That said. let me clarify something... I mentioned that I had collected all the stock parts I need to put a system into my car, but I am still opposed to using the original compressor. Even if I use the original hard lines, etc, I still plan to use a newer ubiquitous compressor from something easy to find.

And Dave WM has suggested to me that a newer parallel flow condenser is better for R134 than the original serpentine version. Apparently R134 likes a parallel flow, while R12 likes serpentine. So now I'm thinking I would try to retrofit a newer parallel flow condenser instead of the original.

But all of this still assumes that I actually get back to working on it...   :unsure:

• Like 1

I hope you guys get your AC working, I got back from a 800 mile round trip thru central AL/GA/FL last week. Mucho hot everywhere, AC (stock R-12 orig compressor) all worked very well made for a nice cool trip. It really helps to enjoy the car. I have the "shadow" brand louvers, no holes in metal type seems to help, esp with not speeding (over 80 and it starts to rattle).

Also I keep a white towel bottom black towel top cover on my dash. Hours of time even with AC on and inside temps comfortable the dash gets VERY hot for the sun. I don't know if it helps keep the car cooler, but my dash is never warm with that combo. You need the black on top to cut glare.

• Like 1