zcardepot.com

280Z EFI Upgrade Kit Coming Soon !

We are wrapping up our testing on a New EFI retrofit kit for the 1975-1983 Datsun 280Z and 280ZX (non Turbo).  This system is based around the FAST EFI self learning fuel inejction system.  This is a modern day state of the art system that will bolt up directly to your 280Z and replace all stock fuel injection (including ECU and AFM) components except for the fuel injectors.  The system will use New GM sensors and will be a simple bolt on installation with no tuning experience and no laptop required.  This system is targeted at the Datsun owner who simply wants their car to run right so they can enjoy it with as little headaches as possible.  However this system is capable of supporting up to 600HP so any mods to the engine (except turbo) will be welcome!  In our first test we were able to pickup about 8 HP and 6.6 lf/ft torque at the wheels with changing the fuel injection only.

https://zcardepot.com/fuel-injection-retrofit-kit-fast-efi-280z-280zx.html

650-251 Fuel Injection Kit 280Z.jpg

On 5/23/2017 at 0:45 PM, zcardepot.com said:

We are wrapping up our testing on a New EFI retrofit kit for the 1975-1983 Datsun 280Z and 280ZX (non Turbo).

In our first test we were able to pickup about 8 HP and 6.6 lf/ft torque at the wheels with changing the fuel injection only.

Sounds like an awesome little kit.  Kind of short on real-world data though.  The youtube video just shows a car revving its engine for 8 seconds.  Seems like a very informative writeup and video could have been put together, in under three hours, if the reality matches the advertising.  Just saying...the opportunity was right there.  Should have been able to show the first baseline pull, then two hours and 50 driving miles later (to get the learning done), the second pull with the newly found power and torque.  That would have been fantastic

Just being my usual critical self.  If it's that easy just show it.  Please, it would be so cool.  Three hours and done.  

• Like 1

More info coming soon, just have not had the time to shoot the videos yet.   We have all of the data and information on the system, if anyone needs any information please call us.

This ECU is only able to read a 1 bar MAP sensor and a turbo car needs a 2 or 3 bar MAP, so that is why this system will not work with turbo's.

Thanks,   Ryan
    Zcardepot

844-865-2473

So the kit still needs the silicone boots to replace the AFM with the test pipe. Maybe include those in the kit too. Save people sourcing more parts in the middle of an install.
    Also, what is controllable from the remote device? Idle speed, AFR? Very interesting system.

The AFM delete pipe is included and will hook up to the stock boots.  

Handheld unit offers:

Engine setup options: engine size, injector size, fuel pressure, TPS calibration.

Adjustments on the fly include: -AFR adjustment for Idle, cruise and WOT. -Idle speed adjustment  -Accel fuel enrichment

Live data displayed: air fuel ratio, coolant temp, manifold pressure, TPS position, air inlet temp, RPM, fault codes.

Maybe supply some actual emissions numbers for the people that have to smog their Z's like me. I would like to see HC's and CO numbers. I would love a system that I don't have to spend all day adjusting just to pass emissions testing.

I would still have to get C.A.R.B. approval as well, maybe? But it sure would be nice to have a system that doesn't require total re-wiring and all the other complicated mapping of some other systems that are available.

Right now it takes a few trips back and forth to my smog shop for me to get the numbers just right with my stock FI. I'm sure there are lots of people out there that feel my pain here in CA.

It's an intriguing kit, but CARB approval is a big deal for us Californians. I'd be willing to bet that a car with this installed would pass the sniffer, but would almost certainly fail the visual unless the tech had no idea what they were looking at. With a bit of cleverness, it could probably even be made to pass the visual as well (hollowed-out or stuck-open AFM swapped for the test pipe). Worst case, looks like it would probably take a day before and after the test to swap back and forth. Still, it's a gamble.

Here's the bigger problem: my stock EFI is fine. At some point I'd like to rebuild my tired engine and try to squeeze some power out of it. The stock system won't allow for that, but an aftermarket isn't legal. If I do any work on the motor that's outside what the stock ECU can handle, then I'm stuck with an unsmoggable car unless I can trick or bribe a shop. Not great. Obviously none of that's a concern if you get the CARB sticker. Unfortunately, it's expensive to get, and Z Car Depot would sell, what, maybe 50 extra units? Totally understand the business decision.

Honestly we just do not have the knowledge of CA emission laws enough to understand what exactly it is they are looking for and not sure we want to.  We do see where this could be a huge selling point of this system to be able to make a CA car "smog" legal or be "carb" approved.  If someone in CA is willing to do some testing with the FAST system we would be happy to work with them and share the results with potential customers.  I think this would be more on the end user as to what they want out of the system.

The FAST EFI conversion was originally targeted for the Z owner who is not a tuner or computer wiz and wants a modern EFI system that is simple, effective and can handle engine mods.  

With a little time the FAST system could be intalled to easily look like the stock EFI system.  Remove the swinging door from the AFM, house the ECU in the original container and adjusting some wire lengths this system should pass for stock no problem.

Zcardepot

Be a nice upgrade for EFI folks that want to swap to wilder camshafts.  The stock ECU is a huge bottleneck in such a case.  Good stuff!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zcardepot.com said:

Honestly we just do not have the knowledge of CA emission laws enough to understand what exactly it is they are looking for and not sure we want to.  We do see where this could be a huge selling point of this system to be able to make a CA car "smog" legal or be "carb" approved.  If someone in CA is willing to do some testing with the FAST system we would be happy to work with them and share the results with potential customers.  I think this would be more on the end user as to what they want out of the system.

I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to skip CARB certification; it's a totally reasonably business decision, and as far as I know, there isn't a single part for the 280Z that's been issued an Executive Order to get the sticker here.

A (very) quick Google search turned up this article from a few years back: http://www.searchautoparts.com/opinion-commentary-distribution/sema-garage-provides-members-low-cost-testing-carb-certifications and it seems like that is a thing: https://www.semagarage.com/#services

I'm not sure what you might want or need from a tester, but if there's a way to work something out, I'd be interested. Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like.

Billet aluminum fuel rail with injector adaptors now available.  This rail is to be used with modern Ford and GM style 14mm O-ring injectors.   Use the rail with our tip adaptors for a direct replacement on your 280Z/280Zx intake manifold.  

Injector:  https://zcardepot.com/fuel-injector-19-new-efi

Injector adaptor:  https://zcardepot.com/fuel-injector-adaptor-bung-efi-280z-280zx.html

Fuel rail:  https://zcardepot.com/billet-fuel-rail-efi-280z-280zx

650-302 billet fuel rail.jpg

650-271 Injector Adaptor 280Z.jpg

I plan on ordering a kit late this spring but it won’t be installed for a year or so... feedback would be nice.

No actual experience with this system, but it should work great. Changing over to programmable EFI - mine is Megasquirt - is such a nice option. If you live in Indiana like me ,then no smog issues or inspections !!

This is a good path to go for someone that wants to “ plug and play”, where as I was wanting to play and learn. 

I purchased this kit a few months back and love it. So easy to set up and it learns pretty quick. This went on a 77 280z. 

Thanks for the feedback Bsly622.  We have been having great results with the FAST system on the Z cars.  About 50 systems out there in use and about 2 years on our test system that we drive year round.

12 hours ago, Bsly622 said:

I purchased this kit a few months back and love it. So easy to set up and it learns pretty quick. This went on a 77 280z. 

Can you supply more info like some actual emissions numbers. CO's, HC's, etc. And AFR numbers Just curious. Specifically for the people that go thru hell smogging their Z cars. CA is one of those states.

And if you are able to "hide or blend" it in the surrounding stock components. Thus keeping owners from failing the "visual" part of the inspection.

I would think your sales, Zcardepot, would increase if you advertised the above info, I think?

Edited by rcb280z

We have not done any specific testing for emissions purposes,  mainly because we just do not have the test equipment in our area.  With the FAST EFI the air/fuel ratio can be adjusted at idle, cruise and WOT.  So I would think that emissions test results could be improved with this feature.  We have checked into getting CARB approval but any device that alters the original fueling cannot be approved, there would have to be a "locked in" tune.   

With some wiring and hose extensions the system can be made to look like factory and the ECU mounts in the same location as the stock ECU. 

According to the fast efi website you can’t use low impedance injectors how are you getting around that? I see in your site you can use stock injectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk