IGNORED

Stroker 3.1

Zama.......I keep one each of a .140, .150, .160, .170, .180, .190 and a .200 lash pads....Just for testing. No need to just install outer spring, since you are just doing one at a time. With those combos, you can center the wipe patterns on almost any cam. I magic marker about 1/4 inch on each side of the face of each rocker arm. Start with number one installing the rocker......then adjust to cold lash, put a dab of oil on the lobe and rotate the cam. Check the pattern.....if centered you are good....if too far back repeat with a thicker lash pad until centered....too far forward, use a thinner pad. Remove that rocker and go to number two. Only one rocker installed at once...... it's not rocket science. Take your time....don't forget to set lash and don't forget to oil the lobe. Write down the numbers for each rocker (1-12) then either buy each lash pad in the right size or have the machine shop or yourself cut them to fit. All 12 of mine were centered with .160's. 

1 hour ago, sweatybetty said:

arent the lash pads hardened? seems filing them down would ruin them

Good question sweatybetty.......anyone know the answer?

Site....Why not call and see if you can send back the 190's and trade for 170's. Isky sends .175's if I recall.

Edited by Diseazd

Lets see what @Lumens says. He has installed the same cam kit I have and may know. I thought if something was hardened steel it would be throughout? 

Schneider told me that .190s were all they had. I assumed he meant all the time but they could've been out of stock at that moment? Worth a phone call to see though. I'll report back Monday. 

After reading around I'm not too concerned with them wearing down very fast, if at all.  I think they're heat treated throughout but can't find anything definitive saying they are not case hardened.  They also say that the lash pads today all come from Nissan?  Schneider doesn't keep them anymore and MSA recommends .170s for my grind but they aren't open yet for me to call.  Stay tuned...

"Wikki D" says 

Don't get hung up on a specific size, as mentioned earlier in the thread: cutting down to correct thickness is very easy. Any machine shop with a magnetic deck and surface grinder can do this job a full set at a time...though facing them initially to get them close with a lathe or bridgeport would save time and stone face on the surface grinder.

BTW......The damper Eiji suggested will make it impossible to run a mechanical fan. I know nothing about electrical fans. Can someone lead me in the right direction regarding fans for the Z? Do I need a single or a double, a pusher or a puller....what is the best quality fan to buy? Any help would be much appreciated.