IGNORED

Electric Servos Instead Of Vacuum Driven HVAC

Captain Obvious

Yes, my son absolutely gave me that look. I'm consoled by the fact that I'm not the only one that gets it.

I got that warning chime bell out of a 1990 Acura Integra. They used that chime on all the first and second gen Integras as well as the early 90's sedans.

Part number 39760-SD2-A01
Used on 86-93 Integra and 90-93 Sedans

I just like it better than the original harsh sounding buzzer/beeper. I find it much more "polite". "Excuse me sir, you left your keys in the ignition" instead of "NNNNNRRRNN!!, NNNNRRRRN!!, NRRRRRNNN!!"

3 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I just like it better than the original harsh sounding buzzer/beeper. I find it much more "polite". "Excuse me sir, you left your keys in the ignition" instead of "NNNNNRRRNN!!, NNNNRRRRN!!, NRRRRRNNN!!"

I never even knew about the buzzer until I put my new dash in. Guess it had been disconnected some time ago on my old one. First time it went off, I actually said out loud "what the hell is that!?" thinking I broke something. That's a smart swap! :)

Sorry for the lack of correspondence. I've been off-line for a couple days. Mostly working on my kids car.

So that ding-dong is a two wire device. It "Dings" when you apply power to it, and it "Dongs" when you release the power. There's a little spring loaded clapper in there pulled to one side by an electromagnet, and pulled back the other way with a spring.

Power on - Ding
Power off - Dong

The trick is... The original buzzer device is actually in two parts. Second part is a buzzer. All it does is buzz anytime it is powered. First part before the buzzer is a little timer module that intermittently applies power to the buzzer. The timer module creates a square wave output that makes the buzzer alternate ON and OFF.

You leave the timer module in place and just run the output of that timer to the ding-dong and that way the square wave gets you both the ding and the dong.

If you just put power on it and leave it on, you get one Ding and no Dong. And a Ding without a Ding is never a good thing.

I've got pics and I promise to get them uploaded as soon as I get a chance!!

Got it Capn' ! Thanks.

So in effect, any 2 wire piezo chime (pulse or continuous tone) would work to substitute the annoying OEM buzzer with a more pleasant tone by just connecting them to the stock "timer box". 

Edited by dmorales-bello

Yup. You got it. Here's a pic of the original combo. The timer box is the white plastic covered cube in the center, while the part that actually makes the noise is the smaller nodule on the right with the red and yellow wires terminating in insulted crimp on connectors:
 P1080901_zpszbvx4xtq.jpg

And here's a pic of the original combo again, with the Acura ding-dong in the center of the pic (the two wire device with the orange and black wires):
P1080992_zpsoegpm8qi.jpg

Just connect up the orange and black of the Acura ding-dong to the Y and R coming out of the timer module, and you're good to go.

Only other thing to remember is that since the Acura DD is an electro-mechanical device, the mounting position may be important. I found that if it wasn't level, it would "ding" - "clink" because one of the internal bell chime bars wasn't sitting on it's mount properly. I suspect they're like little xylophone bars inside and if they get cokked to the side, it won't ring properly.

I drilled a new small hole and mounted mine like this (it's upside down). You can see that the original buzzer cube is still there, but is no longer connected:
P1090068_zpssmegkc4g.jpg

But none of this is about the HVAC servos that the thread was started for.   ROFL