IGNORED

#187 on BAT

gwri8

Did you notice that the choke knob is broken?  All this fuss about the hand throttle ....

Somebody posted a comment on BAT and I want to correspond with the guy.  How do you contact a member?

You cannot put an email on BaT I have tried.  They delete it very quickly.  You can contact the seller.  I tend to comment heavily on BaT on all Z and roadster stuff. I am SCRAPPYDO on their.  I think that Z while old and unique will only reach high dollars if you get at least two preservationists bidding on it.  To almost anybody else, this is a rotted car.  It can be saved, but you would have to want to spend that kind of money. I mentioned it on Bat. You are only bidding on a VIN Tag.

I think if you get the right bidders in their you can hit 30k.  But if you are relying on just an average guy / gal who wants a Z car, this is not even close to the right car to buy.  However news of early VIN cars get out quickly and if the right people find it... well this is certainly a very original car, albeit very rusty and very dented to hell car. 

• Like 1

I don't think the rust is awful but there is a lot of work to do. I see this car as comparable to my projects, 26th and 27th.  I'm marveling at the bent floors.  Wow!

I wonder if I could ask the guy on BAT to contact me here?  I'm 26th-Z on BAT.

This car is being discussed on Bookfaced from Datsun Parts and Needs.  Big comments on the value of low VIN cars.  I think I'm going to be surprised with the bid on 187th.  There's only so much room on the purchase price vs. the restoration costs and value afterwards.  I still think I'm on track with escalating values to have two cars worth what I have in them, but we'll see.  Either way, a restoration on a car like 187th is going to be big bucks.

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 4

I like this car! 

I noticed the rear gate strut, it is ordinary type . My Z432 01/70 has a bit different shape, I thought early cars have the same type like my Z432 , and this type is mentioned in a Fairlady-Z service bulletin .

My 03/70 US 240Z has the ordinary type .

I want to know early cars for export have ordinary type ( I do not know how to call the strut ) from the beginning, or not.

Kats

IMG_1156.JPG

IMG_1158.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

This is my 06/72 240ZG, see the strut. There is a "L" on it. I do not know this is a later replaced part or not. There is a story about the design team was thinking applying left and right , but it was rejected due to cost cut. But later it was applied for both.

Kats

IMG_1164.JPG

IMG_1165.JPG

This will be interesting to see where this car ends up. Only a collector would pay north of 15-20k for this car. It needs a TON of work to get into car show winning form. If you are already dead set on stripping the car and doing a full bare unibody blast and paint, then I suppose this is as good a car as any.  But man, this aint gonna be cheap to get right.

1 hour ago, Zedyone_kenobi said:

This will be interesting to see where this car ends up. Only a collector would pay north of 15-20k for this car. It needs a TON of work to get into car show winning form. If you are already dead set on stripping the car and doing a full bare unibody blast and paint, then I suppose this is as good a car as any.  But man, this aint gonna be cheap to get right.

I know this for a fact; we picked up 2675 as a shell; it is ready for paint and we are in for over $20K paint, body, parts etc...we are another $10k away to have it show ready.

1 hour ago, Zedyone_kenobi said:

Their is a green 73 for sale now with butterscotch color interior that is far more interesting to me than the silver car.  That avocado green one is incredible.

You're right, very very clean mostly original car from what I saw, although the overspray on the fuel tank that wasn't explained to any detail. Not a deal breaker though.

5 hours ago, Montezuma said:

I know this for a fact; we picked up 2675 as a shell; it is ready for paint and we are in for over $20K paint, body, parts etc...we are another $10k away to have it show ready

How much of the 20k did you self perform? For me I would do almost all of it myself, so I don't see it as being that much, but I could be wrong...