Gmz779

Im not sure what z car to get for my first car

Im new to the z family andintrested in getting either the 280zx, 280z, 260z, or 240z  but im wonder which one would be better, cheaper, more reliable and have cheaper parts also more parts to select from.

Hi, Don't know were you are from but go for a 280zx, lots of cars and even more parts for low prices.. in de States..  Here in Europe those are rising !

240z  and other s30 parts are getting very expensive.  If you want to drive the car buy a 280zx and if your looking for an investment buy an early 240Z ....

I am restoring a 280zx 2+2, just because the 240z i'm driving for 17 years (!) now is becoming to interesting for people that want to take it.... for free....:angry:

Let us know what you are going for.

Mart.

240 z of course unless you want to drive it everyday, if so buy a toyota echo, pontiac firefly or any other

car for every day and a 240z as you z car. you know you may keep it for the rest of your life.

If you don't have a large budget, the ZX's and ZX parts are going to be the cheapest. IMO, all Z's are reliable after you spend some time and money on them.

Which one is better, is a tough call. Personally, I like the early 240's. Not a lot of frills and creature comforts but that's the reason I like them. Others, however, value comfort. Start shopping and asking questions. You'll soon have a good idea of what's available. Regardless of the year, YOUR FIRST PRIORITY SHOULD BE BODY CONDITION. Everything else is easy to repair.

Look at the pictures of the different models, inside and out. One will speak to you more than others...

I for one am not a fan of the "modern" dash in the S130's. The S30 series (whichever you choose) is similar enough that if you find a complete car, that is not requiring extensive parts, you can buy whichever you like. If you are buying a shell, keep in mind certain year production models are extremely difficult to find parts for! My 76 280Z is an early production, using parts from the single year 260 and 75 280Z's. Parts changed on certain components after Aug 1976 and that means I have to search very hard for certain unicorns....

IMO the S30 line is the best Datsun/Nissan has ever designed. I'm into creature comforts and believe the last year production cars of a certain line are the utmost expression and refinement of that specific model. Since most buyers go for the early S30s, the law of supply and demand will allow you to buy a 280Z for less money than a similar condition 240Z. You'll spend less money and end up with the a car whose "bugs were worked out" by Nissan (great AC, reliable EFI, decent electronics, good suspension, decent wipers, etc.) and can be daily drivers without any sacrifice AND still enjoy those gorgeous lines. Eventually all S30s in comparable condition will have similar value so take advantage of the bargain, less respected 280s at this time. Other than the extreme purists, most people won't care if you're driving a 240, 260 or 280. They will just get a kick from seeing an S30 on the road and congratulate you.

PS: I hope I don't offend any of the forum friends.

Edited by dmorales-bello
  • Like 1

The 240 what can I say......not enough accolades great car to drive when sorted properly.The 280ZX nice car has all the bells and whistles. I have an early 70 and a 72. I have owned the ZX coupes and 2+2. They are not lemons but the later models are a bit more complicated with the modernization of the vehicle. They can both be everyday drivers when looked after. Stay away from NISSAN dealers if at all possible. Most of the techs are so young they don't even know what a carburetor is for or how it is used. Whatever you buy LEARN TO WORK ON IT. You will never be able to pay shop fees. Good Luck

IMG_20111006_120729.jpg

To keep the advice simple: The 240Z has the magic name, the early 260Z is the last of the lighter weight chassis's, and the 280Z is the most numerous and easier to find.

19 hours ago, SeafireXV said:

and the 280Z is the most numerous and easier to find.

... and has had all the bugs worked out ;). Hey, someone has to stick up for the ole 280Z.

Get one with all of the kinks or at least as many of the kinks worked as your budget can afford. They are fun to work on. It better to drive.

Thanks everyone I was looking into the 280z, that one caught my attention, but I wanted to know what are common problem in a 280z? So I can look out for 

Go to zhome.com and look for "common problems/rust areas". A lot of good info on that page.

My 280 was all smogged up and ran like crap. Luckily nobody cares in Alabama and I deleted all that stuff when I rebuilt the motor. Wherever you live I'd check to make sure the cut off date for emissions is past whatever year you're looking at.

Good luck in your search, they're out there!

Rust is the nemesis that plagues all Z's. Body condition is the first and most important thing to look for. Everything else pales in comparison to rust. The EFI seems to be a common problem on 280's too. At least until it's sorted out. Then it seems to be reliable. Suspension and steering components (bushings, tie rod ends, shocks, etc.)usually need to be refreshed.

• Thanks 1

Another thing people often forget about is the age/maintenance ratio.

These are old mostly plastic and fragile cars everywhere but the body which is rust prone.

They require constant attention,  like a pet in my opinion. Do you like working on cars or drivng? That FSR I think from Scion is a nice arse car and nothing but driving. 

These Zs are easy to work on but you have to work on them. That turns to the fun part, for me at least.  I have a garage and like working on mine as much as I do driving it but I enjoy beer more than any car. ROFL

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Another thing people often forget about is the age/maintenance ratio.

Sounds like you might be talking about some of us older Z owners as well as the cars we drive.  :D

Dennis

• Like 4

240,260,280 are all fine and my preference over a ZX....I have a very late model  280Z

Others have mentioned rust and based on my experience whatever you see will be deeper.....but...with some sanding and grinding rust goes away.  Behind wheel wells, in front of wheel wells, the spare tire area, under the panel that covers the windshield wiper motor, under the front fenders and behind the headlights.  Basically all of it!

If you have a few holes but nothing too major there are replacement panels you can buy online to patch and repair these areas, and if you do most of the clean and prep having a professional install the panels won't cost too much in the big picture...at least that has been my experience.

Mechanically the EFI can be a bear.  If you want to keep it get/download the factory service manual online.  Ther are fairly inexpensive options to replace the EFI with modern components now and you could even install a carb on a 280 if you like to make it more reliable.  All doable with time and $.  

This guy has a really nice video series on YouTube I have enjoyed watching recently...Wish I had seen it a year ago! This is his first video in the series.

I like them all, they are all the same basic design.  I got a 280z and removed the bumpers.  Replaced with 240z bumpers (pretty simple, made some brackets..)  Got the FI system working right by cleaning the injectors/wiring connectors.

The best one is the one with the least amount of rust, you should hear this time and time again.  Mechanical parts can be found.  Body work and rust sucks and isn't safe.  FYI my 280z looks just like a 240z now, except for the emblems and tail lights.