IGNORED

Test report of "HLS30Q (Z Europe model) countermeasures High speed stability "

kats

This photo was taken at the Test Drive US & CANADA, I love this silver.

And 240ZG from a magazine.

The reason of 15mm lowered in front is, the development team of Europe S30 had found that S30 had a habit of lifting in front when cruising. It was about 10mm.  

Mr.Takei and Mr.Miyazaki and other engineers all admit that G-nose gives a huge benfit when cruising at high speed, stability is much much improved . Before going on sale G-nose in Japan, many Nissan test crew members got speeding  ticket in Tohmei express high way, they did 200km/h crusing. They did not care about ticket ,even they all reported  the benifit of G-nose effect not only to the test grope but also to the executives , finally some executives tested by themselves, then G-nose began to sell. 

Kats

STILL0503.jpg

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

Gathering all the comments , G-nose was oriented from the Europe version development team. Mr.Miyazaki said "it was like a Loutus Europe 's nose, a little bit shorter than G-nose. After that styling design team finalized the shape" .

Kats

Hi Kats!

The ZG car in these pics looks like it had the mirrors mounted asymmetrical, I know Alan's car had them mounted that way aswell. But on your car it does not look like they are mounted asymmetrical. 

Do we know anything about this change in the mounting place? Is it about production year or some change in the laws in Japan?

/Andreas

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, moelk said:

Hi Kats!

The ZG car in these pics looks like it had the mirrors mounted asymmetrical, I know Alan's car had them mounted that way aswell. But on your car it does not look like they are mounted asymmetrical. 

Do we know anything about this change in the mounting place? Is it about production year or some change in the laws in Japan?

/Andreas

This early LHD Z has the weirdest mirrors: 3

3 mirrors.jpg

• Like 1

Hi moelk ,Asymmetrical mirrors, I do not know. Some car has mirrors mounted  asymmetrical, and some do not. 

Sorry for uploading too many pictures, can someone measure their distance with computer devices?

Kats

"Fairlady vol.1" has good pictures, with chassis numbers from early to late.

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

Edited by kats

• 10 months later...

Dear Kats, thank you so much for this rare insight and information. Really interesting read. As for the topic, i'd like to add a few of my own documents.
1. The swiss 240Z Sales brochure which i got from my good friend Stefan a while ago.
P1030841-Kopie.jpg

These are scans from above original printed sales brochure which he found and donated to me. It was found in an old stock at an ex Datsun, now nissan Dealership. Enjoy the read :)Swiss-sales-brochure-p1-Kopie.jpg

Swiss-sales-brochure-p2-Kopie.jpg

Swiss-sales-brochure-p3-Kopie.jpg

Swiss-sales-brochure-p4-Kopie.jpg

Swiss-sales-brochure-p5-Kopie.jpg

Swiss-sales-brochure-p6-Kopie.jpg

While the B/W pictures inside are probably some Nissan / Datsun stock photos, the one on the first and last pages (red colored car) show the typical Swiss car with front and rear spoiler,
which is also mentionend especially in the text about aerodynamics. Most cars were delivered like that over here.
It's a common practice for swiss car import companies (like nissan switzerland) to add parts, which are optional in other markets, as a standard feature to boost "sportiness" of a car, as switzerland
has a higher density of sporty cars compared to surrounding countries.

It's also interresting to see how they advertised it by explaining the aerodynamics with some details, with it's rallye heritage and with the fact that it was very popular in america.
In general the description is very technical. really trying to explain how good and simple the car is. Quite funny when comparing it with todays sales brochures, which is all about emotions and how practical a car is.

2nd: The swiss  homologation fiches in french, Which i got from t he swiss car registry office. On a side note, we have four official languages in switzerland (german, french, italian and romanian).
So most docuements are available in italien, french an german, while romanian is only for a small part of switzerland which all of them also speak a second official language.
Homologation_fiche_1-Kopie.jpg

What is particulary interresting here is the second page:
It says the chassis used for homologation was HLS30-00243 and the document was released on 6. May 1970.
in the additional notes at the bottom it mentions which bulbs have to be used for the lamps.
It also mentions the IKI 5004 side markers used and that they had to install a second set of taillights (type ULO K 11254), since the original set that came with the car
was leaky.
Homologation_fiche_2-Kopie.jpg

on the third page (additinional sheet, this time in german) there were some later informations like
- what kind of lamps where installed Note fom 10. november 1971)
- Where the car's serial number is found (note from 19. July 1972)
- Note from 7. February 1973, that from Chassis-nr HLS30-132850 a brake boost / force limiter (don't know the official english word for it)
was installed for the rear brakes, to reach the braking performance requirements, which were introduced after the car's initial homologation.

Fiche-german-p3-Kopie.jpg

• Like 2

On 2017-04-10 at 7:28 AM, kats said:

This is Mr. Takei , he was a leader of the Europe test group, and after Final Europe Version established, he spent 4 months with the car in Europe.

What a wonderful man !

Kats

IMG_0674.JPG

testing japan.jpg

On 2017-04-10 at 7:28 AM, kats said:

@kats,

The photo above seems to be at the same facility where the photos below were also taken. :)

image.jpeg

The licence plate sequence also tell a story 39-01 & 39-31 above.  Below is 39-38 and 39-47.

double mirror.jpg

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1