IGNORED

Fairlady 432 at Auction

gundee

28 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Original 432-R gearstick (FS5C71-A 'box) was straight. The one on the auction car has been modified to bring it closer to hand in 1st, 3rd & 5th gears when you are sitting - quite reclined - in the Ikeda Bussan bucket seat, and with your Takata 4-point seatbelts on. So, owner preference modified.

I've done the same on my 432-R replica. Shortened the stick a little at the same time.

Nissan did all a great service by adopting many ad hoc racing features on later Z's. Take a look at the Maxima N47 head and a welded-and-sculpted E31 head.

Here is how shift levers progressed:

F4W71A (front)

F4W71B (back)

image.png

280z (FS5W71B on left) to 280zx (FS5W71B variant on right...with vibration damping spring)

image.png

On 11/25/2019 at 2:23 PM, 240260280 said:

20191024BH_nagoya041.jpg

Lots of little details make the Z432R interesting. Even the door jam switch for light has been removed. They kept the standard door card and didn't fit the pull handles. No cover for the handbrake lever either. Every little bit helps getting the weight down. Shame it was fitted with the heavy 432 engine, however they did build one with the lighter L24....albeit a factory team car. 

587a65cd74a2e_Car31L242.thumb.jpg.836defd20eab9f94ce8a3140dc93696b.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SpeedRoo said:

Shame it was fitted with the heavy 432 engine, however they did build one with the lighter L24....albeit a factory team car.

"Lighter L24" LOL  Is that weighed in full race trim, or full road trim?

I refer you to a thread with some neat handbrake turns and reverse-gear editorial manoeuvering from the OP:

I'll remind you that the S20 engine was soon discontinued and the L24 went on to racing glory in its place, all over the planet. As well a famous Japanese racer mentioned early on that the L24 was the better racing engine.  The S20 was a fine piece of machinery but the L24 did the job better with fewer parts.

14 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I'll remind you that the S20 engine was soon discontinued and the L24 went on to racing glory in its place, all over the planet. As well a famous Japanese racer mentioned early on that the L24 was the better racing engine.  The S20 was a fine piece of machinery but the L24 did the job better with fewer parts.

In fact the S20 continued to be used until the end of 1973 - winning almost every race it took part in -  so you clearly didn't take much notice of our previous discussions on the subject. Oppama vs Murayama politics ring a bell at all?

L24 didn't do the job at first, did it? Fewer parts? Yes, it took a little bit of development to get them to finish with as many crank throws connected to the flywheel as there were when they started... LOL

2 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Shame it was fitted with the heavy 432 engine...

By the same token, shame our lovely L24 was fitted in the softened-up and dumbed-down HLS30U. Much better suited to the HS30 and HS30U packages ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

By the same token, shame our lovely L24 was fitted in the softened-up and dumbed-down HLS30U. Much better suited to the HS30 and HS30U packages ?

Thankfully the Japanese had BRE in the USA to show them how to turn it into a race winning car. After all the same guys helped turn a poorly designed and built British car into a Le Mans winner.

BRE.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Thankfully the Japanese had BRE in the USA to show them how to turn it into a race winning car. After all the same guys helped turn a poorly designed and built British car into a Le Mans winner.

BRE.jpg

psst: Your photo is of a replica...

AC Ace or Lola GT? And the same guys? I think you might be getting Shelby American mixed up with BRE.

Thanks for the "show them how" line for the Z. Quite revealing.   

Still, you're certainly living in the right place for bowdlerised yarns to get turned into jingoistic blockbusters. You might want to drop your screenplay over to James Mangold (or maybe Disney) as I'm sure he will be looking for a similar project to the one which pretty much painted out Bromley, Broadley, Lunn, Slough, Wyer, Kar-Kraft and a cast of thousands. And never mind those 5 DNFs at Le Mans in '65, eh? Hooray for Hollywood!   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Oh c'mon now.... the American's built plenty of bland rubbish that needed jazzing up. The Mustang was considered a "ladies" car, hence why Carol Shelby had to work it over to give it more "muscle". But the whole premise is just silly to begin with. Plenty of politics in big companies preventing "special" versions of cars being released. That's what is good about the aftermarket tuning scene, they can push the envelope.

And what was poorly built about the AC cars anyway? They were a beautiful shape.

14 hours ago, oemz said:

OS Giken dual cam setup as the ultimate s30 setup for me. I have 3.0L Rebello now and can’t imagine how much better that would be. 

But how is this even relevant to a discussion on a Z432-R when the O.S Giken offering came in the late 70s almost 10 years later? I mean I could say the RB26 is the ultimate set up too, but it came in 1989...

12 hours ago, hiyabrad said:

What kind of HP and Torque does your Rebello put out?

How is this relevant to the thread at hand? For all we know it puts out 500hp on a Rebello dyno... ?

12 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Thanks for the "show them how" line for the Z. Quite revealing. 

Ughhh, this thread quickly devolved didn't it? It's a good thing all these Westerners know how to do it right and get to show those orientals how it's done lol..

12 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Still, you're certainly living in the right place for bowdlerised yarns to get turned into jingoistic blockbusters. You might want to drop your screenplay over to James Mangold (or maybe Disney) as I'm sure he will be looking for a similar project to the one which pretty much painted out Bromley, Broadley, Lunn, Slough, Wyer, Kar-Kraft and a cast of thousands. And never mind those 5 DNFs at Le Mans in '65, eh? Hooray for Hollywood!   

Somehow I think you'll have lost them..

Edited by Gav240z
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

But how is this even relevant to a discussion on a Z432-R when the O.S Giken offering came in the late 70s almost 10 years later? I mean I could say the RB26 is the ultimate set up too, but it came in 1989...

How is this relevant to the thread at hand? For all we know it puts out 500hp on a Rebello dyno... ?

I mentioned it because of the comparison between L24/S20 in racing. Not really relevant but I know what I’d go with based on what I mentioned. Carry on no need to get hurt.

Unrelated, but your brown hornet was the main reference for my 240z engine bay...not the Rebello. Love that Z ?

Edited by oemz