Jump to content

sdyck

Hints on removing stuck locknut on tie rod ends

Recommended Posts

I have my front suspension all apart except for the tie rod ends. I probably should have broken the tie rod end locking nuts loose before I took it all apart, now it's hard to get a good hold on it.  I need to confirm which direction to turn the lock nut, on the passenger side I'm turning it right to left. To brake it loose. On th driver side I understand it is a reverse thread so I'm thinking left to right. Is that right?

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the suspension together on car, you attach wrench from bottom and push both locknuts towards the rear of car to loosen.

Hope that explains it enough for you to figure out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect, thanks on the direction of spin.

   I think I'm going to finish the refresh put the suspension all back together in order to get the tie rod stable enough to get some leverage on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a 24" pipe wrench on mine and a crescent wrench on the square at the end of the threads.  Laid it on the floor and stood on the handle, my bench vise wasn't working.  It was lifting my my work bench.  I had turned it the wrong way until it was too tight.  Now I know one's reversed threaded. LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I used a 24" pipe wrench on mine and a crescent wrench on the square at the end of the threads.  Laid it on the floor and stood on the handle, my bench vise wasn't working.  It was lifting my my work bench.  I had turned it the wrong way until it was too tight.  Now I know one's reversed threaded. LOL

I love that you are so blatantly honest Cliff.....the rest of us screw up all the time, we just don't admit it!!!  You've got no pride.....I'd love to have a beer with you sometime....Hell maybe 5 or 6!   Guy.  :D

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you see is what you get.  I can't stand pompous people, although my life is full of them, being full of themselves. LOL

I'm the first to point out my mistakes and the first to correct them.  Southern boy and very proud to say that.  Thank you for the compliment. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

What you see is what you get.  I can't stand pompous people, although my life is full of them, being full of themselves. LOL

I'm the first to point out my mistakes and the first to correct them.  Southern boy and very proud to say that.  Thank you for the compliment. :)

I take pride in my mistakes. Those are opportunities to learn. Sometimes I learn that I can be pretty stupid.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SteveJ said:

I take pride in my mistakes. Those are opportunities to learn. Sometimes I learn that I can be pretty stupid.

My saying at work is "tuition". When we mess something up, break something or learn the hard way we call that "tuition" ie. the cost of learning...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thinking, "get out of the way, I'll do it" then I break it. :D

But I'm getting older and finally learning some things.  Working on these 40 year old plus cars is a great teacher of patience and asking for help, something I've never known.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

I take pride in my mistakes. Those are opportunities to learn. Sometimes I learn that I can be pretty stupid.

I read something the other day, "he's working at a Doctorate level..."

I love it!  Y'all all have good "tuition". B)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2017 at 10:04 PM, gundee said:

With the suspension together on car, you attach wrench from bottom and push both locknuts towards the rear of car to loosen.

Hope that explains it enough for you to figure out.

I hope I'm doing this right.  With me standing over the steering rack that's laying on the floor, oriented like it came out of the car, does that mean I put the wrench on the lock nuts from above, and pull towards the front of the car?  Thanks!

Jim's Steering Rack.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoCalJim said:

I hope I'm doing this right.  With me standing over the steering rack that's laying on the floor, oriented like it came out of the car, does that mean I put the wrench on the lock nuts from above, and pull towards the front of the car?  Thanks!

Jim's Steering Rack.jpg

The easiest way I 've found is just to look at the threads  heading into the nut, they will be sloped in one direction, turn the nut so it will climb the slope away from where it is now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That, along with a ton of persuasion, worked!  I can't believe how tight both of those nuts were.  I'm not very big, so persuading is not something I excel at.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.