IGNORED

Size? Fuel Line Replacement

JLPurcell

My car was built 4/71. So what I have done here is wrong. Water hoses, PCV and breather hoses are to be the cloth braided hoses. My fuel lines are to be the cloth wrapped. My float bowl vent lines to the air cleaner are to be what material?  Smooth fuel line hose? The sizes for the fuel lines are to cloth wrapped in 6 and 8mm? I did my clamp in yellow cad. Is that correct or are they to be like in the picture Clear Zinc. I have been also told not to use yellow cad plating. It was yellow zinc. Which is correct? I know I need black spark plug wires.

DSC_9939 (2).JPG

DSC_9936 (3).JPG

It seems to me I remember some hoses actually being a better fit with 1/4" hoses. I think maybe the supply from rail to carbs is actually 1/4". The 5/16 will work clamped down hard enough , but the 1/4 slides on tightly

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 7:24 AM, CanTechZ said:

Here is a source for fuel compatible hose that has an original black cloth wrapped look that comes in 6mm and 8mm sizes, as well as others. They have also have JIS fasteners that look interesting as well.

http://www.newcoproducts.com/new/cohline/hoses.html

Thanks for the info on this.  I picked up the BCWL-018 hose for my fuel line in the engine bay.  This hose looks closest to the OEM fuel line.  

@JLPurcell       113

"I am planning to replace all of the fuel lines with cloth wrapped hose. I just measured and it looks like two sizes one for all of the supply side and another size for all of the return lines. I get 5 and 7.62 mm ID does any one know these sizes for sure? Thanks in advance. Jerry"

I am really glad to see this post! Did these ID sizes work for you? If so  I am planning to buy these hoses for my June '72 S30. What were the total lengths of your purchases of each of the 5 and 7.62mm ID sizes? Put another way, "How much of each should I buy?"

Also, I'd sure like to have contact info for the/a vendor of the large diameter vent hose. Can you help me?

Jerry    

• 2 weeks later...
@JLPurcell       113
Posted "I am planning to replace all of the fuel lines with cloth wrapped hose. I just measured and it looks like two sizes one for all of the supply side and another size for all of the return lines. I get 5 and 7.62 mm ID does any one know these sizes for sure? Thanks in advance. Jerry"
I am really glad to see this post! Did these ID sizes work for you? If so  I am planning to buy these hoses for my June '72 S30. What were the total lengths of your purchases of each of the 5 and 7.62mm ID sizes? Put another way, "How much of each should I buy?"
Also, I'd sure like to have contact info for the/a vendor of the large diameter vent hose. Can you help me?
Jerry    

It would great to get this requested information for others to use
Thanks in advance
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I just did all my fuel lines this year with Gates E85 rated hose.

1/4" fuel rail to carbs - maybe 2 1/2 feet

5/16" supply side to fuel rail & tank to steel line - about 6 feet

3/16" return line from rail to steel line & steel line to tank - about 5 feet

These all seemed to fit perfectly. Needed to use a little more hose on the supply side because I also converted to an electric fuel pump.

• 3 months later...
On 9/11/2017 at 11:10 AM, w3wilkes said:

I just did all my fuel lines this year with Gates E85 rated hose.

1/4" fuel rail to carbs - maybe 2 1/2 feet

5/16" supply side to fuel rail & tank to steel line - about 6 feet

3/16" return line from rail to steel line & steel line to tank - about 5 feet

These all seemed to fit perfectly. Needed to use a little more hose on the supply side because I also converted to an electric fuel pump.

So which size are you using here for a snug fit?  This is the fuel rail  line that connects to the line that comes from the engine floor. I tried 5 /16 but need to clamp it down very tight.

20180307_195835.jpg

20180307_195822.jpg

20180307_195813.jpg

On 3/11/2017 at 8:02 AM, JLPurcell said:

once the bling (restored yellow zinc original wire hose clamps) is added.B) 

Jerry,

The rounded top, phillips head wire hose clamps are zinc plated.  Silver, not yellow cadmium.  I DO have later style wire hose clamps with hex head screws that are cadmium plated, but they are not the 'correct' style for my early cars.

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 2

I used 5/16 on the line from the tank to the fuel rail. 3/16 on the return line from the fuel rail to the tank. What's the possibility that you have the lines on the fuel rail reversed?

Seems like if these were inadvertently reversed it would cause all kinds of engine run problems.

Edited by w3wilkes