IGNORED

selling a 240Z for estate - please help

foreignaffairs

I am helping an estate sell a 73 240z. It was owned my Mike Fulkerson of Lexington, KY and he had owned the car since new. It was his baby and was restored to near concours level, actually winning 1st place in his class at Ault park concours in Cincinnati, It is a VERY nice car. 

I am trying to get an ad together and figure out a value for the car and was hoping some of you would be willing to help. Please let me know what you think and what details and pictures other Z experts would be looking for. 

Here is a link to all of the pictures I have, in case you're interested.

https://goo.gl/photos/W8sbDVoxsPYQBsV76

IMG_1259.JPG

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

• Like 1

My very first 240Z when at 16 years old was the same color.  It had vinyl roof and was an automatic :) The car looks to be in very good order.  Not the most desirable color, but the modifications are tastefully executed.

I suggest looking at what comparable 240Zs sold for on Bring a Trailer, and base your selling price accordingly. 

http://bringatrailer.com/search/240z/

In fact, you may want to consider placing the car up for auction on BaT.  It will get good exposure and the scrutiny from a knowledgeable community.

Edited by DatsunZGuy
Added link
  • Like 1

That's awful purdy, very nice condition, I think you will get top dollar for that car. The only thing that really stands out to my eye that needs fixing is the front grill, it seems to be bent forward or tilted farther forward at the top so the angle is wrong. Probably won't take much to straighten it. The car doesn't have that look of being tarted up for sale, it looks like real care has been taken. Brown was never a great colour but it is also kind of rare because of it. Good luck

Edited by grannyknot
  • Like 1

Beautiful car!   I agree with DatsunZguy about putting it on BAT.   A number of 73 240's have done well on there of late.

Does not look like it would take much to return it to all original if the new owner wanted to.

Great pictures Steve, thanks for adding those.

GLWS

I agree with all that has been said above and wish you well with your sale.

The car has a build date of 5/73. One of the most noticeable items in the photos to me was the carburetors. They are the earlier round top Hitachi version which, by this time in 240z evolution, should not be original equipment. I suspect that the flat top carbs were changed out, as is often the case with 73 Z cars, in favor of the "easier to maintain" earlier carbs. This could have been done at the dealership within the first few years of ownership. Regardless, it appears the conversion was done properly by those that did it.

Additional photos of the underside of the car, close ups of the battery tray, rocker panels, floorpans and inner fenders would be helpful to discriminating potential buyers. (although, if given, the presentation likely will not yield any surprises)

To me the documentation that goes with the car more than offsets the dip in value usually seen in 73 240Z prices versus the earlier cars and the perception that this color is the "least desirable". It is readily apparent that this car WAS loved very much by it's owner. The condition of the car is testament to his care.

There are several additional minor details that would need to be corrected by a purist, but the car is a rare example of a truly "period correct" 240Z.

This car certainly deserves a commitment by the new owner to match that shown by Mr. Fulkerson.

I believe that this car could fetch a high #2 to low #1 condition value and will be the grist of much discussion if offered on www.bringatrailer.com

Thanks for posting this topic and keep us updated as to the progress. It will be interesting to follow.

• Like 1

Wow. Thanks for all the info and encouraging words. I'm still planning on getting it on a lift to take pictures. 

SteveJ - Very cool that you remembered the car and have pictures of it at the show. I hope you can attest to the condition of the car to anyone that hasn't seen it. 

I'll look into Bring a Trailer. They picked up a Ferrari I was selling and the comments got out of control. There are a lot of "trolls" on there. 

I would really like to see the car go to a good home (I'm sure Mike would agree) and not to someone that is just going to try to resell it 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foreignaffairs said:

I would really like to see the car go to a good home (I'm sure Mike would agree) and not to someone that is just going to try to resell it 

:Yes:

Being another Mike, I also agree completely.  Let's find Mike's gorgeous car a good home!!

At first Mike's name didn't click with me, but as soon as I saw the photos, I realized I knew the car. The car looked great back in the summer of 2011, and it still looks great. It was definitely Mike's baby.

It's probably a great opportunity for someone to purchase a nicely restored one-owner 240Z. That's coming from someone who owns two Zs that were rode hard and hung up wet by multiple owners.