IGNORED

Series-1 Hatch Vent Duct Clips & Restoration Info Needed

Hardway

Hi Jim, fantastic! I agree drain tube , use original soft rubber one , it is very good.

I too looked my spare parts , a metal crip which attaches two plastic parts is there, I confirmed, thank you.

My wife said "is it for vacuum cleaner ? "

I have to keep it inside my parts box !

Kats

IMG_8021.JPG

IMG_8022.JPG

IMG_8024.JPG

IMG_8025.JPG

IMG_8027.JPG

IMG_8042.JPG

IMG_8043.JPG

• Like 3

Hi Kats!!

Thanks for joining in. Your thoughts are appreciated. You know these cars so well and your photos are the best!

I simply must get a decent camera someday soon---the clarity and depth of your photos are most real.

Was the foam attached to your ductwork when you received it in the package or did you apply it?

The boxes say "Packing Duct" on them and have the  part number 90827-E4100.

The clips shown in your photos are identical to those I found in the bag of my NOS duct assembly but they were loose---not attached.

I may have to "eat some crow" here about these clips----

I am confident that the early clips spanned the assembly parts and clipped over the top outside of the hatch opening surface to hold it all securely---as the close-up photo Jim Arnett @jfa.series1 provided of the clip on the  car hatch vent opening.

Now I am thinking that at some point Nissan redesigned the method of attachment such that the entire assembly is inside the hatch and the only fastening method was the pins on the finisher grill going through the holes in the hatch to engage the clip---which doesn't seem as secure to me--- but could be adequate as long as the pins are intact and not compromised. This method would not use a barrel clip on the pins as the speed nut clip has a "pin gripping" feature to it already.

@katsDo you have any thoughts about the differences between these clips and the method of attachment? 

Jim D.

What finish if any did the original clips have on them?  Zup's pictures look like either raw spring steel or possible old black paint.  I have revised the request for quote to the fab shop, asking for spring steel instead of stainless.  Additionally, they offer on-site powder coating but that is not an original finish.  I have asked what the cost would be to have them clear zinc plated.  They offer yellow zinc too which I know a lot of guys like but I believe it would be best to offer them in an original finish.  What do you think?

Edited by Hardway

32 minutes ago, Hardway said:

What finish if any did the original clips have on them?  Zup's pictures look like either raw spring steel or possible old black paint.  I have revised the request for quote to the fab shop, asking for spring steel instead of stainless.  Additionally, they offer on-site powder coating but that is not an original finish.  I have asked what the cost would be to have them clear zinc plated.  They offer yellow zinc too which I know a lot of guys like but I believe it would be best to offer them in an original finish.  What do you think?

When I tore my car down, the clips were in a patina finish LOL.  I suspect they were originally unfinished spring steel.  I would opt for either a gloss black finish or clear zinc since most but not all the plated items aft of the firewall are clear zinc finish.

• Like 3

+1 on spring steel with clear zinc if possible---if not, phosphorous (dark brown to black)

My originals did not appear to be plated at all---just spring steel but I treated them with Ospho to try to prevent them from corroding further. That turned them the color you see.

• Like 1

Hi Jim, I need to look and think carefully.

Chris, I leaned "Hoover" , thank you. Can I say Hoover for a person who eats a lot?

The foam (Packing 90827-E4100) was already attached ,and the yellow zinc speed nuts (Nut spring 08961-43210) were already attached too.

I think the speed nut (08961-43210) , it`s role is to combine two plastic duct part in one. And,

Nissan might intent the speed nut catches the pin of the outer grill, but I doubt like Jim, looking at my spare duct, the speed nut needs to be bent more for better catching.  But still I do not know it can.

Then ,the whole duct assy needs a black barrel crip (CLIP tail gate ventilator 90829-E4100) to secure the assy on the top outside of the hatch opening surface.

Also, the outer grill trim needs tubular clip (CLIP tubular 63845-18000) to secure it on the tail gate,( or secure with the barrel clip) but this is not mentioned on the parts catalog.

My Blue 240Z and Z432 both have same method, tubular clip for secureing the outer grill.

Please see attached pictures, the earliest Fairlady-Z parts catalog does not list all of the hardware which required .

1972 issued one describes much better,  on the other hand, the early DATSUN 240Z parts catalog does not describe correctly, even it says secure the outer grill with the tapping screw !

Kats 

PS  About 5th picture, #14 barrel crip (90829-E4100) and #40  speed nut (08961-43210) they should be switched their location each other in the diagram.

ps30-00088 124 (2).jpg

IMG_8050.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

IMG_8054.JPG

IMG_8055.JPG

IMG_8057.JPG

IMG_8058.JPG

IMG_8059.JPG

IMG_8060.JPG

IMG_8061.JPG

IMG_8062.JPG

IMG_8063.JPG

Edited by kats
" the top outside of the hatch opening surface "
  • Like 1

Ok, So now I'm confused. Are there two sets of clips? Two on the "hoover" vent section (90829-E4100)  and two on the hatch opening (08961-43210)? That's what Kats diagrams appear to show because they have different call numbers. If so what retains each? Do the Grill Assembly (90950-E4100)  pins connect both clips to the hatch?