IGNORED

Too Good to Be True? – 125 Amp Bolt in Alternator @ Datsun Store

Matthew Abate

So I stumbled upon this 125 amp alternator at Datsun Store while researching the various alternator upgrade options out there (GM, Pathfinder, Maxima, etc.), and I am really curious what exactly they have here.

They claim that it's bolt in, doesn't need the T-plug, is internally regulated, doesn't require any diodes or new wire looms or bracket modifications, and the pulley it comes with will work if you get a particular fan belt. They also claim 50+ amps at an idle around 550 rpm.

Is it just me or is this too good to be true? I've seen other options that make some of these claims, but nothing with this much juice that doesn't also have at least one thing you have to modify or fabricate or some kind of drawback like not charging the battery under 1,000 rpm.

The main reason I haven't just pulled the trigger is that it's double the cost of other options at $289.000 (although not as much as the things they have at RHD). Up until now I had been looking at the bolt in 90-amp one at Z Car Depot for $139.00.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Matthew Abate

The questions are answered on the web page.  No core charge.  Cases cut to fit.  Belt info supplied with the belt so that you can replace it in the future.

He wires the Sense and Lamp wire directly to the charging wire.  So you'll lose your Charge warning lamp (described on the page).  It's basically a bare-bones primitive charging system, with high capacity.  A person could probably wire it up to work correctly and still get the high capacity.  He's both reducing and increasing the value of the product, one by losing the Charge lamp and adding the special belt, and the other by making it almost fool-proof to install.  The belt is probably necessary for the same reason that manufacturers went to the multi-groove belts.  It takes more torque to spin the little pulley when it's putting out the high amps.

Z Car Depot should really have more wiring info on that page.  I'm sure that they're missing sales because of non-clarity about one of the most confusing parts of the alternator swaps.  You'd need one of Dave Irwin's (or MSA's) adapters for your 240Z, since yours came with an external regulator.

@zcardepot.com

This 90 amp alternator is a fairly new product to us.  We do have the connectors for this alternator in stock now.  As with all of our parts feel free to email or call us with any questions.

https://zcardepot.com/electrical/battery/alternator-high-amp-90-240z-260z-280z.html?search=alternator

Thanks,

Zcardepot.com

email: sales@zcardepot.com

PH: 844-865-2473

• Like 1

Is the connector different than the Z car connector?  Not a T plug?  Still not clear.  Is it an adapter or is it a plug that needs to be wired up?

Just trying to help out.  You didn't really answer any questions.  No offense.  It's looking like a late Maxima alternator with a pulley swap, that doesn't use a T plug.

@zcardepot.com

17 hours ago, wheee! said:

Mark, That link keeps bouncing me to the first post in your thread. What's the individual post number you were trying to share?

Edited by Matthew Abate

2 minutes ago, Matthew Abate said:

Mark, That link keeps bouncing me to the first post in your thread. What's the individual post number you were trying to share?

Hilarious... I was just working on that as my Tapatalk version goes to the link. Getting the right info as we speak....

Post 203, Page 9 of the thread (wow that thread is getting big...!)

Modified the stock lower alternator mount to accept the GM 10SI 100A alternator.

Marked off at 1.78" for margin of error.

ed75df638f8806e26182a227cf70f9b0.jpg

On the cold cut saw...

7db8f24a4a6680cc4c24cc2b2baf0510.jpg

1f00dde82e91b2bbc776f2ac23765dd6.jpg

Ready for drilling out to 3/8ths...

773a8be158b0a28c5392a84752a32bb3.jpg

Finished after another quick sandblast and final measurements....

a2a59312b678c6c75f9ac3d3b7c16411.jpg

6261ce44984a655032ebc8014e3eaa9c.jpg

More in the blog if you go to that post/page....