IGNORED

Somethings wrong...

Redwing

22 hours ago, Lumens said:

I am going with ignition since it reacts as if you just shut off the key.

That's my gut feeling too.

@gwri8 Previously you said that RedBird shut down as if the key was turned off. No stutter or misfiring from the engine. When it restarted did it run fine?

@Redwing Is there any regularity in the dying. I'm thinking that it's occurred often enough that you may be getting a feel for when it will happen? Does it ALWAYS occur when the engine is warm? Or when it's been raining?

• Like 1

Mark, no clue when it is going to shut off.  Cruising along, and suddenly losing speed.  Thanks tho.

Yes it never stops when it is cold.  Not sure about the rain aspect, I don't drive her in the rain.   

Jai

Edited by Redwing

1 hour ago, Lumens said:

Can you be more specific? Getting mixed messages here. Loosing speed or shutting off as in key off?

Sorry.  Yes suddenly losing speed, then is when I realized she was running as if key were off.  Suddenly shutting off, a short time later I realized I was coasting only.

Sorry I had not made that clear.

Thanks,

Jai

Good morning all,

Redbird has been sitting all this time.  Now that my social security will be coming tomorrow, I'm going to check if I can eek the parts for the clutch out of it.  I have a small surplus in it this month due to me buying one of Deanna's meds last month.  I have decided to try to go with the Exedy kit.  Several have mentioned it is a good kit.  Thank all of you for giving me information, it helps me a lot when I am so unknowledgeable about it, and other things.

Hopefully RB will be done soon, so I can join Site at the car show April 1.  Yayyy...

Jai

• Like 1

On 2/20/2017 at 10:26 PM, siteunseen said:

I Buy mine at amazon.com.  find the cheapest with the most stars. For me I decided on Exedy kit for $100.  Read what's included,  some are cheaper because the throw out bearing is sold separately and the bronze shaft bearing too. My machinist charged me $40 to resurface my flywheel.  It was blue from getting too hot.  Yours may not need it but you won't know until you see it.  I know money's tight but changing the transmission fluid at the same time is good.  It only holds a couple of quarts I think.

Hi Site,

I'm wanting to get the clutch kit ordered asap.  Today I verified with Pete, the mechanic to do the work, that he will do it and allow me to pay as I can.  He is real agreeable, said to call when the parts are here.  I want to check with you to see if this kit from Amazon is complete for the job, as you had advised me to make sure.  

The kit I'm looking at is:

"Exedy kit on Amazon, after typing in my car info (1976 Datsun 280 Z), was the first one listed.      EXEDY 06009 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit"

I also asked Pete about the flywheel, and he said it is up to me, but a good idea to do it if it needs it.  So I asked "but if it goes bad not too long after the clutch is done, that would make it prudent to work on it now while already into the clutch, right?"  He agreed, saying it would be an extra $30 - 40, tagged onto the clutch bill, but no problem.  So he is going to decide after looking at it, while already into the clutch, and will go from there.  

Please get back with me about this clutch kit, I want to order it at the latest tomorrow.  Need to get on with this job.  I'm going to lose the SUV my son lent me any day now, it is one of his work trucks for his surveying.

Thank you,

Jai

Edited by Redwing
forgot something needed
  • Like 1

Exedy is a good brand of clutch. They are an OEM supplier to many car brands. Daiken is the parent company, have been around for a long time  and they make very good products. When my engine was rebuilt the engine builder put in an Exedy OEM clutch kit. I was very pleased when I saw the Daiken manufacturing stamps. You should have no worries there. 

Edit: Daiken/Exedy clutch plates are a nice upgrade from the factory disc. Ventilated and with better materials than the stock disc. fair amount of metallic particles in the disc. This is good for longevity and they will take a lot of abuse.

Edited by Chickenman
  • Like 2

Hey Jai.

I have that clutch kit in both my Zs and very satisfied with it's grip and release.  It has everything needed, a complete kit 100%. The friction disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bushing.  Also an alignment tool which is very helpful when getting it all bolted up.  I paid $40 for flywheel resurfacing.  Luckily I had the extra money because it wasn't absolutely necessary.  Pete can make the call once he sees yours.  If you ride the clutch or burn them on hills with red lights he'll see the blueish color tell signs from heat.  They need to be a little rough for the friction disc to be able to grab.  Burnt flywheels are too slick from what I know and maybe suspect to slipping.

I put that clutch on my first rebuild without researching, just the reviews I read on amazon.com.  My second rebuild I installed a lightweight quick spin-up aluminum flywheel.  I asked the forum's advice and Leon V, an automotive engineer, also recommended that kit.  Exedy is an original equipment supplier for a bunch of car makes.  I think you'll be very happy with it. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the solid response about the Exedy clutch kit.  It will be ordered in the morning, hopefully here by Tuesday or Wednesday.   I'll  keep everyone posted as to what's going on.  

Yayyyyy......

Jai