IGNORED

Somethings wrong...

Redwing

19 minutes ago, Redwing said:

I received the distributor cap today.  Visually it  looks too little, even tho I got it from a site that had me put my car info in to tell me if it was a correct fit.

The early Z's had a distributor cap that was visibly smaller from the later ones, maybe there was a mix up.

• Like 1

Jai

Remembering back to the times it has shut down, is there anything similar in the failures? A smell, a feel, a sound change,? Similar condition? Going uphill, downhill, a few minutes or miles after starting out, the same stretch of road? How often has it failed a few miles down the road after filling the tank, for instance? Here's one more specific. Has she always shut down when accelerating? Possibly indicating fuel starvation.

@gwri8 When the engine shut down, was there ANY symptom of rough running or dropping of revs just before the engine died or was it more like someone just turned off the ignition? I'm talking about the last second before it died.

1 hour ago, Mark Maras said:

@gwri8 When the engine shut down, was there ANY symptom of rough running or dropping of revs just before the engine died or was it more like someone just turned off the ignition? I'm talking about the last second before it died.

When we started out the car was just about on empty.  Jai did not fill the tank, she just put in a couple of gallons.  It started up just fine and very shortly after, like 500 ft., it just shut down suddenly like you mentioned, like turning it off.   No rough running. We waited about 5-10 mins and it fired back up.  

These are the very same symptoms that happened before. I'm seriously thinking that there might be water in her tank again and it should probably be drained like ZH mentioned.  Until that happens,  I've read that putting in a bottle of 100% isopropyl alcohol should help displace the water. You can go to the dollar store or where ever and get is for less than a dollar.

Jai, don't worry about the Dist cap.  I don't think it will make a difference just yet.  The clutch is in more need.

• Like 1

Reporting in with the news of today,  about Redbird and overcoming her problems.  

I put the bottle of alcohol into the gas tank, but due to rain and Dr appointments, I haven't driven her to mix it up.  I took the distributor cap out see if it was the right size and put it on.  Alas, I was unable to unhook the clips.  To do later when I have tamed the clips.

Today I went to Dalton, and saw Pete the mechanic.  He is very willing to work with me, accepting payments for the new clutch to be installed.  He would rather work with broke people because they always stick to an agreement and he does not have to run them down for the money.  What we agreed on was for me to get the parts, and then we will set a date for the work.  He expects to be able to do it in a single day.  His estimate of the labor was $250.  Oh gee wow, that thrilled me.  Good deal!  Now I have to scrape up the cash.

I pose this question to all of you, would you please recommend a good clutch kit for me?  Surely you know I'm totally un educated on this project.  Ha!    Which would be the best clutch to buy for the buck?  For sure you need to know I am not looking for one that is one of the souped up ones, that are put into race cars, that would be overkill and way overpriced for me.  I just need something that is reliable, well known for its service, and a great value.  

Thank you all for showing me the way to go.  I really am in debited to each of you.  

Have a great evening, I know I will now that some of the stress is off me.   :P

Thanks again...

Jai

Edited by Redwing

I Buy mine at amazon.com.  find the cheapest with the most stars. For me I decided on Exedy kit for $100.  Read what's included,  some are cheaper because the throw out bearing is sold separately and the bronze shaft bearing too. My machinist charged me $40 to resurface my flywheel.  It was blue from getting too hot.  Yours may not need it but you won't know until you see it.  I know money's tight but changing the transmission fluid at the same time is good.  It only holds a couple of quarts I think.

• Like 1

I'm sorry for not reading all the post but what makes you think you need a new clutch?  I've worn them so bad they wouldn't make it out of the driveway. LOL

If it's hard to get in gear it may be the slave cylinder is not extending with the proper force.  Maybe just air in the line or a bad slave cylinder?  

If it's slipping is it persistent or when you first leave out?   Maybe a little oil leaking down on it?

What sucks is the only way to know if it's worn is measure the depth around the rivets on the friction disc and it has to be taken out to do that.  These cars are great when they're right! but bad when they aren't. 

Best wishes for you and Redbird, Cliff.

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

Ok, if that is the case then Jai you have a California model 280Z.

According to the 75 - 76 280Z FSM, Federal had dual pick-ups and California only had the single pick up.

This is a bit confusing as Jai said it was purchased new in Kansas and not in California.

Now I need to look into that. I am going with ignition since it reacts as if you just shut off the key.

16 hours ago, Lumens said:

Ok, if that is the case then Jai you have a California model 280Z.

According to the 75 - 76 280Z FSM, Federal had dual pick-ups and California only had the single pick up.

This is a bit confusing as Jai said it was purchased new in Kansas and not in California.

Now I need to look into that. I am going with ignition since it reacts as if you just shut off the key.

Sorry you have a bit of misinformation.  The car was bought new in Scottsdale  Arizona.   It appears she does not have a catalytic converter tho.

Thank you for your interest and help.

Jai