IGNORED

Nissan Factory restoration cars

Sunline

It's a beautiful example, and I'm clearly nit-picking, but since we're dog piling...

Paint runs or something else weird going on with the tops of the front strut towers
Corrosion pitting in fan guard
Polished valve cover
Unpainted fender and hood bolts (didn't do a final color spray with the body panels in place).
Black hood torsion springs. Are they supposed to be body colored?
Failed plating on fan pulley and throttle opener diaphragm. Not a big deal, but stick out in contrast to the other new plating elsewhere.
Brake hard lines near master cylinder look a little disorganized. Is that stock routing?

Gotta love a good nit-pick pile-on!   :)

Great points! Thanks for all the input.

I spoke to Les Cannaday today and was extremely impressed with the level of detail that went into this restoration. Literally every single part was disassembled and either rebuilt or refinished including the engine internals. The original car was essentially rust free so apparently not too much cut and weld was required. He is sending me pictures of various stages of the 3 year restoration project. According to Les it would cost more than this to duplicate this level of restoration, provided you were able to locate a solid car to begin with. 

I will post the pics when I receive them and look forward to further scrutiny. 

30 minutes ago, Sunline said:

According to Les it would cost more than this to duplicate this level of restoration, provided you were able to locate a solid car to begin with. 

Keep in mind that when someone restores a car and later sells it, they're lucky if they recoup 50 cents of every dollar spent.  

If you look at the other cars listed by the company selling the Z, you'll see they carry fairly inflated price tags as well as enormously inflated wordy descriptions.  The Porsche 944 and the Volvo 1800 are priced almost double the going rate for equally nice cars on the open market.

Dennis

On 1/17/2017 at 11:13 AM, 26th-Z said:

This is the listing for the car.  http://hymanltd.com/vehicles/5796-1971-datsun-240z-coupe/

Many more of you indicated that you want a copy than I have PMs.  My Paypal address is:  cwenzel@earthlink.net and I want you to send me $15 and I'll mail these out this week.

PM sent with address. $15 sent via paypal.

thanks

9 hours ago, DatsunZGuy said:

I wouldn't accept the car if given to me for the mere fact that both air cleaner wingnuts are not in the 3 and 9 o'clock position :wacko:

Wait... I thought the wingnuts were supposed to be at 12 and 6???

Seriously though... It's a beautiful car. Not sure it's 70K beautiful, but it's beautiful.

Anyone know of a real #1 or #2 Condition - aka Concours Quality 240Z being offered For Sale for $50K or less today. Please point it out. Any top Condition #3 examples for sale today for $30K or less today? Mid to low range #3 condition 240Z's are selling on Bring-A-Trailer above $25K..

Point is - it is all about supply and demand - - I don't see much supply in the face of rising demand.

Chris - if the car being discussed here - was judged at an annual Z Car Convention - In STOCK CLASS - would it score 90%? Seems a lot of deductions are obvious.. Concours Quality is all about fine details in perfect condition.. Correct down to the valve stem caps!

• Like 1