IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Nice looking car!  Looks almost identical to mine so I'll be watching this for some ideas/tips. :)

I sure was happy to get rid of my Yorx a/c compressor and that pulley bracket, it was inop anyway and a huge pain in the butt.  

Fortunately, the owner does not want the A/C in the car car, so I will be removing the compressor. I didn't realize that it was a Yorx compressor...I thought it was a Briggs & Stratton :D.  The weight of that compressor and bracket has got to be near 30 pounds.

12 minutes ago, psdenno said:

What's the build month on the new '71 project?  The picture of the interior shows a later style center console than my April '71 Z.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

I will check when I get home on the build date and get back to you.  I know that it is later in the year.

• Like 1

Has this car been converted to a 5 speed. This console looks like it is from a 72. I have two series 1 consoles, but they would require trimming to be used with a later 5 speed conversion. Are you in need of the chock lever cover, ash tray, and the defroster switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

12 hours ago, motorman7 said:

They are virtual twins, although my friends is the series III 1971 while mine is an earlier Series II, so there are a few differences.   The serial numbers are off by about 9000 units.

Weird, I've been observing the 240Z's indirectly, since I have a 280Z, but I never noticed anyone refer to anything but Series I and Series II (and there have been arguments over just those two labels).  But now I see that maybe they go all the way up to IV.  And there are actually two Series I's, a 1969 and 1970 version.

Is this generally accepted labeling or is it just a certain club's?  I found Carl Beck's page when I searched "240Z Series III".  Somehow I'd never seen it before.

http://zhome.com/History/DesignChanges.htm

17 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Weird, I've been observing the 240Z's indirectly, since I have a 280Z, but I never noticed anyone refer to anything but Series I and Series II (and there have been arguments over just those two labels).  But now I see that maybe they go all the way up to IV.  And there are actually two Series I's, a 1969 and 1970 version.

Is this generally accepted labeling or is it just a certain club's?  I found Carl Beck's page when I searched "240Z Series III".  Somehow I'd never seen it before.

http://zhome.com/History/DesignChanges.htm

Carl's page is what I would use as a reference.  I don't know enough of the history otherwise.  The serial number on my 71 is 40498 which falls in the series II range.  The series III 1971 Z is in the 49000 range which fits with the reference.

The center console and fuel tank door are the two most obvious indicators of the different series.

1 hour ago, 7tooZ said:

Has this car been converted to a 5 speed. This console looks like it is from a 72. I have two series 1 consoles, but they would require trimming to be used with a later 5 speed conversion. Are you in need of the chock lever cover, ash tray, and the defroster switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

The car has the standard 4 speed and the console is complete and in very nice condition.  The choke light and rear defroster lights also work, very nice.