IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

I've sectioned an original shift knob into a couple pieces, and after seeing the inside (the part that has never seen the sun), I believe the knobs are made out of the same material and color as the steering wheels. On the inside, they are much more tinted toward red than they are on the outside. Homogeneous throughout, and red.

When I get a chance, I'll snap a pic or two.

On 7/16/2017 at 6:18 PM, motorman7 said:

Started putting the dash back back together.  Did a a little clean-up on the gauges before installation.  Also touched up a some of the chipped and scraped areas on the instruments.  Trying to decide what to do about the non-working clock.  I think I will send the clock out to this guy and get the quartz mechanism so it will last for a while and be accurate.

http://www.zclocks.com/

Although, I am really tempted to try this:

https://hyllest.wordpress.com/2014/09/28/quartz-clock-movement-into-a-240z-clock/

That might be worth my time.  I have a couple other Z's with clocks that don't work, so could be handy.

I installed most of the dash harness and will install the ducts soon.

Oh, 'Just Dashes' covered up three of the holes that that should have been open: The dash light dimmer hole, the emergency flasher switch and the odometer reset.  So, I drilled those open and installed those item.  It was a bit scary drilling into a $1750 dash, but was actually fairly simple as it was just the vinyl I had to go through.

I also need to look into the panel lights.  I am thinking that there is a better option than the original bulbs but not sure.  I will have to look into this more.  Anyway, here are the pics so far

DSCF4896.JPG

DSCF4898.JPG

DSCF4900.JPG

DSCF4902.JPG

DSCF4905.JPG

DSCF4906.JPG

DSCF4911.JPG

DSCF4913.JPG

DSCF4920.JPG

DSCF4924.JPG

Motor man.

I've tried the Equus conversion and it's not as easy as the author makes it look. However, The dash looks very nice. How long did it take to have the dash recovered?

Zclocks

Edited by zclocks

20 hours ago, zclocks said:

Motor man.

I've tried the Equus conversion and it's not as easy as the author makes it look. However, The dash looks very nice. How long did it take to have the dash recovered?

Zclocks

Yes, I think the part where he said he just 'machined' a part clued me into the fact that it was a little more involved than it reads.  Thanks for the feed back.  The lead time for the dash recover at 'Just Dashes' is 12 weeks.  It is a long time.

Thanks for the support everyone.   

Finished taking apart the front steering and suspension.  Will get most of these pieces to the powdercoater and the fasteners out to plate.

More Z CSI:  Looks like we have some adjustable suspension parts on here.  The hex fittings with the offset center.  I have not seen these before on a Z.  I will have to do a little research and find out where these come from...racing parts?

Anyway, some are pics below....looks like I had some grease on my lens.   

DSCF5022.JPG

DSCF5020.JPG

DSCF5019.JPG

DSCF5017.JPG

DSCF5015.JPG

DSCF5013.JPG

DSCF5009.JPG

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Those look like the first version of the g-Force offset bushings, the later version has a Delrin bushing that keeps the aluminum from getting chewed up.

Very interesting.  Thanks for the info.   I found the Delrin bushing version on the Motorsport website.  

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/23-4170

Got some new tail light gaskets.  The old ones were cracked and crusty.  Cleaned up the tail lights, installed new gaskets and installed them on the car.  Also cleaned up the rear side/signal lights and installed them.  One of the signal lights had a crack.  Fortunately I have a bag of these things so I just swapped it out and installed a nice one.   Pics below.

DSCF5027.JPG

DSCF5028.JPG

DSCF5029.JPG

DSCF5033.JPG

DSCF5036.JPG

DSCF5037.JPG