IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

WOW!! That looks absolutely perfect and probably even much better than new with updated covering. Should last even longer than the original.

Would love to do it but just thinking of all the disassembly/assembly work plus the down time really weighs heavy on my mind, especially considering I only have 2 hairline cracks.....but perfection is so tempting!

15 hours ago, wheee! said:

Now package it back up and ship it to me....

LOL.....great comment :D.  if only it were that easy. 

Yes, it's definitely nice to be working with a new dash with new plastic.  It really looks nice.  Old plastic scares me as I know it is just a matter of time before it gives way.  Still trying to brace myself for the day the dash on my '70 cracks.  I am hoping that it makes it to 50 years.

The cost is expensive but necessary for a high end Z.  Throw in my transportation and it's almost $2K for everything.  If you pay on credit and not cash, then they add tax. Not sure if the tax is on the complete product or just materials.  Receipt breakdown was $875 materials, $875 Labor.  

This also makes me realize that I got my '71 for a steal.  Total cost for the car was $4K.  That included a fully reconditioned dash WITH reconditioned instruments including a working clock, and all the parts zinc plated.  Not bad.

15 hours ago, drpchuynh said:

What does one do about the often faded or scratched glove box lid? Does JustDash recondition the lid too or do you have to buy new?

Yes, just dashes will do the glove box, but I am betting it is very pricey.  Best bet may be to look for one on e-bay to get one for the best price.  For faded plastic, I use that Mother's color restorer for black plastic.  That works well.  Paint is an option, but you would have to do the dash as well to avoid the color variation.

Below are close-up pictures of the two different dashes.  The darker pic is the new 'Just dashes' material.  the lighter pic is from my original '70 dash.  The colors are actually the same, it's just the camera lighting is different for the two pics.   While the texture feels the same to the touch the pattern is definitely different when you are close-up.  From a two to three foot distance, the texture looks very similar.  But as you can see from the close-up, it is definitely a different pattern.  I should do a little research and see if I can find the Mold Tech or Yick Sang or CH number for the patterns.

DSCF4890.JPG

DSCF4893.JPG

Edited by motorman7

LOL.....great comment .  if only it were that easy. 

Yes, it's definitely nice to be working with a new dash with new plastic.  It really looks nice.  Old plastic scares me as I know it is just a matter of time before it gives way.  Still trying to brace myself for the day the dash on my '70 cracks.  I am hoping that it makes it to 50 years.
The cost is expensive but necessary for a high end Z.  Throw in my transportation and it's almost $2K for everything.  If you pay on credit and not cash, then they add tax. Not sure if the tax is on the complete product or just materials.  Receipt breakdown was $875 materials, $875 Labor.  
This also makes me realize that I got my '71 for a steal.  Total cost for the car was $4K.  That included a fully reconditioned dash WITH reconditioned instruments including a working clock, and all the parts zinc plated.  Not bad.

Maybe if the dollar ever hits par again.... but add 30% to those prices plus international shipping and... yikes!