IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

Started back on the motor assembly now that I have the engine bolts plated.  Installed the timing chain cover, oil pump, water pump and oil pan.  Will send the valve cover out tomorrow for the bead blast.  Once that is done, the motor should be looking pretty nice and about ready to install when the time comes.

DSCF4680.JPG

DSCF4685.JPG

DSCF4688.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1

Got the valve cover back today.  Just have it resting on motor for now.  Will clear coat tomorrow and then install.  Will also trim those silly tabs off of the valve cover gasket.  Whatever happened to the old fashioned cork gaskets?  These new ones are funky.  I would actually be interested in picking up a couple of the cork/brown ones if they were available.

DSCF4692.JPG

DSCF4690.JPG

Some detail pics of the valve  cover.  I think this came out real nice.

Took my orange Z to the Motorcars on Main Street show in Coronado today.  Personally, I think it is one of the best car shows in San Diego.  The Z cars get a lot of attention.

DSCF4695.JPG

DSCF4696.JPG

DSCF4700.JPG

DSC_0520.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Montezuma said:

Do you have to do the clean up on them or do they take them as they were in the before picture?  I have a bunch of stuff to get off to that shop.

As far as the plating goes it's "Garbage IN, Garbage OUT". They need to be cleaned up but I think it is worth the work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, motorman7 said:

As far as the plating goes it's "Garbage IN, Garbage OUT". They need to be cleaned up but I think it is worth the work.

Cool, I got a wheel just for this reason, I was just making sure.  I actually enjoy taking a wheel to the parts...it is therapeutic.

You mentioned Vise Grips... This is the only type of Vise Grip I've ever been able to get flair nuts out of the exhaust manifold with. Soaked them with Kroil for a couple days - then heated the manifold glowing red hot (acetylene gas torch) - locked these vise grips on the flair nut - and smacked them with a big brass hammer.  unscrewed them all - but even so, as you mention the threads on the flair nuts were so messed up, they weren't useable. 

I now have three sizes of these in the tool box..for flair nuts. The only thing better than a good Snap-On flair nut wrench.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-locking-wrenches

Wonder job - fun to watch it take form..

Edited by Carl Beck
add info.