IGNORED

Unicorn Alert: Rubber Steering Coupler

jfa.series1

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

yes the OE's are NLA...Wish we could convince a vendor to reproduce this part...

It's not the material itself that matters, it's the properties of the material.  Rubber can be made rock-hard also.

https://whiteheadperformance.com/product/whiteline-steering-coupler-kit-w11044-datsun-240z-260z-280z/

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

It's not the material itself that matters, it's the properties of the material.  Rubber can be made rock-hard also.

Oh, I understand but like Jim I was thinking of Nix240z. If he were to decide to do it I am confident he would get as close as possible to the original rubber density. He's a little OCD like that...I believe that Zcardepot and MSA tend to be pretty diligent too

Steve has always been hesitant to make parts that could have litigation associated with them, but this part should have limited risks since the bolts are really the insurance factor

That is the reason Steve gave me Charles.

I don't think there is a liability-- as you said the bolts are the critical component for safety---the rubber is only a means to modulate applied forces for improved driving comfort. (primarily reduced vibration and sound transmission)

I've never heard of an accident caused by deteriorated rack bushings or steering couplers---has anyone??

It could be there was a West Coast incident of the phenomena as reported on Facebook that I missed----:huh:

• Like 1

What has happened to our DIY culture on this item?

Let's see, what do we need?

1. Use a hated polyurethane bushing as a pattern and source of the four steel hole lining bushings. You can also laboriously extract these bushing from your old rubber one too. 

2. Acquire a chunk of rubber. Get a few different durometers. If your get 1/4 thickness of various durometers to build a sandwich and experiment with the steering feel until you get what you like. McMaster carr has a large variety of rubber types, some even with reinforcing layers. Rubber suppliers are surprisingly common. This stuff is not high tech.

3. Size and drill the holes using the old poly bushing as a guide.

4. Press the steel bushings into the holes.

5. Assemble on the car and go for a drive.

• Like 4

I am interested in hearing from people that actually like the poly coupler for street use... I have the original rubber part but was planning on getting the poly kit with a new coupler. I have never driven a 280Z (yet) so I was concerned when I felt the "slop" in the steering column while wheeling it around...
I also plan on using the shortened bump steering knuckles from Arizona Z Car for a quicker turn ratio. Is it really that harsh with poly??

• Like 1

I bought one of MSA's packages of bushings years ago, on sale, and the only ID of manufacturer inside was an instruction sheet from Ground Control.  So assume that my coupler is from GC.  I haven't noticed any harshness at all, just a tighter feel at the wheel.  I'm running 205/70-14 tires.  Low profile tires could have a big affect on the problem.  I also have an old worn-out spongy steering wheel cover.  I imagine that a nice wood wheel would transmit the harshness also.  I don't wear gloves though.  Another factor.

• Like 1

I too bought the MSA bushing pkg. thinking it was the way to go.  After getting the car back on the road, I regretted that decision.  I have eccentric bushings on the front control arms for camber adjustment so there went the stock rubber bushings.  With poly in the rack and steering coupler, there was a lot of road feedback getting to the steering wheel - way lot!  I was fortunate to find a set of Beck Arnley rubber rack bushings and did not hesitate to swap back to the OE coupler.  Now, all is well with the steering feel.

PS - I also swapped out the T/C rod poly bushings back to new rubber.  Not a fix for steering but much better overall front-end behavior.  I have 16" wheels with 205/55 tires.

Edited by jfa.series1

You did the common two variable experiment.  Changed two things at once, confounding the results.  Maybe it's the rack bushings.  You didn't mention your steering wheel either.

I think that all you can get out of these discussions is that it's not just one thing.  You have to look at the path from road to hands and make your choices.

49 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

You did the common two variable experiment.  Changed two things at once, confounding the results.  Maybe it's the rack bushings.  You didn't mention your steering wheel either.

Guilty as charged.  I have a stock steering wheel and really did not want to mess with experimentation.  I'm well satisfied with the sharpness of the steering with new tie rod ends, new ball joints, and the rubber content.